• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug relay making buzzing/ grinding noise

cucvegas

85 m1009 glow plug relay making muted buzzing / grinding noise.

replaced it with new one and getting same noise.

attached video with noise.

any suggestions?

thank you!

Attachments

cucvrus

My Mule done that ever since I bought it 18 years ago. It is the relay releasing. If it starts and runs fine just run it. I do not have my resistors or anything bypassed. I have everything just as new. A C Delco 13 g glow plugs and all. If there is a reason it does that I do not know. Nature of the beast. ???

cucvegas

Solution: The batteries were both weak, and the the glow plug relay sounds normal with new batteries.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Haoleb

Glad you got it sorted. I was going to suggest measuring the voltage. When the coil voltage gets too low the coil doesn't have enough power to fully close the contacts anymore.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solution: The batteries were both weak, and the the glow plug relay sounds normal with new batteries.

Hope this is useful to someone.
Now you have a "built-in indicator" telling you that the charging system or batteries need attention. This can save you costly repairs in the future.

cucvrus

My Mule done that buzzing chattering release sound ever since I rebuilt it. It is just the nature of the beast. if I change the relay it may not do it. I put that relay on in 006 and it still works. I think load testing the batteries will still remain the standard. But yes new high amp batteries can fix a lot of ills. I seen North Star batteries that have 1450 CCA. WOW x 2. That will crank it over for a while. Happy Holidays.rs_500x326-141217151556-TheGrinchCartoonhappy grinch.gif