• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug relay Napa to Advance cross reference no go?

Ackevor

Months ago I searched the forum for a better GPR to replace the stock unit in my M1008. I came by ECHGPR110 as the better unit out there, and a couple others that people had luck with. Advance Auto, where I normally like to buy from as their online coupon codes are unbeatable, cross referenced it to a BWD brand GPR11 relay. Makes sense right GPR110 to GRP11 (searched Ford power stroke as well same part)... I guess not. It has the "S' and "I" markings. I attached a photo of the label and will leave a link here.

Anywho, I stashed the relay, plugs, and tons of other extra parts I intended to replace early summer but my restoration got the better of me and I just now got around to changing them... and its not the right one. They said I can exchange it still but they likely wont have the right one so hopefully they will let me return it.

Has anyone gotten the power-stroke relay from anywhere other than Napa and got the right one?

A quick note, my current relay does still work, I swapped the plugs and thankfully the prior owner used never seize on them and all were a breeze to remove. Half were Wellmans and the others were another brand I'm not familiar with. But after the swap and resistor bypass (thanks doghead for the tips in this post) the truck starts crazy fast with the new gear reduction starter without shaking apart.

Attachments

Last edited:

joshuak

Months ago I searched the forum for a better GPR to replace the stock unit in my M1008. I came by ECHGPR110 as the better unit out there, and a couple others that people had luck with. Advance Auto, where I normally like to buy from as their online coupon codes are unbeatable, cross referenced it to a BWD brand GPR11 relay. Makes sense right GPR110 to GRP11 (searched Ford power stroke as well same part)... I guess not. It has the "S' and "I" markings. I attached a photo of the label and will leave a link here.

Anywho, I stashed the relay, plugs, and tons of other extra parts I intended to replace early summer but my restoration got the better of me and I just now got around to changing them... and its not the right one. They said I can exchange it still but they likely wont have the right one so hopefully they will let me return it.

Has anyone gotten the power-stroke relay from anywhere other than Napa and got the right one?

A quick note, my current relay does still work, I swapped the plugs and thankfully the prior owner used never seize on them and all were a breeze to remove. Half were Wellmans and the others were another brand I'm not familiar with. But after the swap and resistor bypass (thanks doghead for the tips in this post) the truck starts crazy fast with the new gear reduction starter without shaking apart.
I have ST-85 from NAPA works great...

This BWD Solenoid, Part #S603 is from O'Reilly, reference thread, use same part number at AA and find this.

Good luck.

Ackevor

The controller switches the light blue wire(ground), to activate the relay. (not the positive side)

Both small terminals are connected by a long winding of wire(a coil). So, with the key is on, then you would see voltage on both small terminals(if the controller is not activating). If the controller is activating the relay, the light blue wire would be grounded.

This is all listed in the -20 TM GP troubleshooting section.

Is your relay a isolated ground relay? It MUST be, to work correctly in the CUCV.

To test for isolated ground, check for continuity between either of the small terminals, to the shiny mounting frame of the relay(where the bolts mount it to the fire wall). If there is any continuity, then it is the WRONG relay and may cause a controller card to burn out as well as your glow plugs.
OK quick update. I was able to return the GPR11, although I tested per the end of dogheads quote and even though there was an "i" and an "s" nothing had continuity to the base, I hooked it up the same way I did the stock GPR and it just buzzed so I killed power and put stock back on. Stopped at O'Reillys and picked up the S603 and will just use it instead, FYI they offer military discounts like Advance which is nice, didn't even ask.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks