• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug relay problem

dstang97

Every question you asked is in the Faq section. If I was to do it again I would have bought one off ebay or st85. It doesn't matter anymore because my truck is dead anyways.

jsd563

ok now that i replaced the relay with the napa # relay now with the key on i get power to the red (batt) the pink and the blue and nothing to the orange..... now what.....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you test the glow plugs?

Does your wait light come on?

Did you resupply with 12 volts?

Last edited:

jsd563

didnt test the glow plugs cause the relay wouldnt clunk..... when i grounded the blue no clunk i jumped the red to the orange and clunk and the wait light came on but again would not go out untill i disconnected the jump

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull your controller card, and visually inspect it. Smell it.

Then, test every component in the GP system.

I need to know what relay part number you just installed.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would test your new relay to be sure neither small terminal has continuity to it's mount tabs.

What about all the other things I've suggested or asked?

I really expect all your glow plugs to be bad and your controller card to be ruined.(posted this in post#2)

Last edited:

jsd563

ok i tried it again and now it clicks on when i ground the blue and i get power to the GPs green wires ...... so is it safe to say the controler card is bad?..... I just ordered a new on and 8 GPs from cucv electric alot cheeper than the parts store $71 for the GPs and $67 for the card

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you would do the things I ask/tell you to do, it would help a lot.

I'm not telepathic. I need your help with solving your problem. That means, you ask questions, I tell you what to do, then you tell me the results of what you find. Then we take the next logical step.

You keep asking questions, and not answering my questions.

No, it's not safe to say that. Did you pull the card and inspect it , like I said? You certainly did not report back with what you found.

Did you test your GPs with an ohm meter, and report back with what you found?

Did you test your new relay with a meter, and report back with what you found?

Did you resupply the new relay with 12volts? You never answered that either!

If you simply want to guess(as you did to get you into this situation), go ahead.

I can't help you this way.

Everything you need to solve your issue, is in the -20TM(as I posted in post # 2). Go get that and read the step by step troubleshooting directions.

Last edited:

jsd563

the card is burnt..... and i found out when i had it at the trans shop last week for the governer they shot it with eather after i told them not to and the relay burnt out ......... i think when i put the wrong relay in I burnt the card

jsd563

at the risk of sounding stupid i have a meter but dont know how to set it for ohms .... i tried it and got nothing ..... thats when i got the test light ...... sorry for not giving that input ...... just been getting fustrated and apprecate all your help

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use Youtube to learn how to use your meter.

There are thousands of vids that will show you the basics.

You are learning some very expensive leasons here.

jsd563

well I now know how to use a multimeter and now know all the GPs are dead..... if the tips are swolen a vid says just keep twisting they will come..... is this true? and thanks worthog for reminding me bout youtube ..... guess ya cant put a price on educationaua

Zero_cool

Depends on how swollen they are. There is a tool for pulling out swollen plugs, pretty spendy but in my opinion is worth it.
Hard to see the card in your pic , but you can do a visual inspection of the tape and all the soder points.
Do you have a pic of the other side of the card?

jsd563

no but look at the top right ...... where can I get the tool ..... and how much is pricey .... i have spent tons with my local snap on guy

Zero_cool

I have a orbital blowout fracture so my vision right now is not so good.
I got my puller from my dad, but you can find them all over the internet ranging anywere from 50 - 100 + bucks.
all it is is a tool that pulls the swollen plug out in a straight line.
Your plugs might not even be swollen tho , I would grab a 1/4" drive 10mm deep socket and slowly thread them out. Youll know if the plug is swollen