• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Removal and Tool - internet sales drama

HardCorps79

This topic has been addressed in several places, but I just had a recent experience I'd like to share. Mods feel free to move, sticky or delete as applicable. :D

If you have swollen glow plugs, there's a tool that makes their removal a lot easier than snapping them off, pulling the injectors and trying to dig them out or vacuum them. That tool is an OTC 6005A.

The issue is that OTC apparently doesn't make a lot of these. Seems they may run production for part of the year and then that's it. A lot of the vendors online may show that they have the part in stock, but when you order, you find out otherwise.

So, in case you need some more drama in your life and missed your soap-opera's you can enjoy mine. But mostly this is to save my fellow Steel Soldiers members from the mistake I made in dealing with a company that's essentially a scam.

This is my story and a warning:

Do NOT order this from S&J Discount Tools!!!!!!!!

I found the link to them both on this website and on a google search. They appeared to have the best price and showed that the part was in stock. Awesome. Item was supposed to ship in 2-3 days and be delivered in 6-9 days. Cool. Or so I thought. 2 weeks after I paid them, I still had no part. I contacted them by email, since they do NOT have a customer service phone number!!!

They informed me the part would be backordered for 4 weeks. I asked them to cancel the order and they promptly cut off communication with me. Wouldn't return phone calls or emails, other than with a form email that said, "We're looking into this." I called or emailed every day for almost 2 weeks with no success.

Finally, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, the FTC internet fraud division for military personnel, the Attorney General of Ohio, and a dispute with PayPal and my bank. Finally after over a month, I got my $100 back.

Apparently the company is two brothers in their early 30's working out of their homes in Ohio. There is no brick and mortar store. All of their products are shipped from external vendors and their customer service is outsourced. They stay at home and collect the money. The website is just an electronic facade.

So, if you need to order a glowplug puller, I'd recommend going to a brick and mortar store and ordering it from a human being. In my case, nowhere local could get it quicker than another 4 weeks, but I found a place in Louisiana that has them in stock.

You can call Shreveport Air Tools, Inc (or at their website ToolTopia.com ) and speak to a real live human being in a store who can actually verify how many of the part they have at a given time. They were very polite and helpful. Now, to change my plugs...

BTW- If you need to order Wellman 070s, do it directly from the manufacturer, INDUSA Distributing. If you go to GLOW PLUGS 2 look for "SET OF 8 G070 PLUGS for $59.96". If you pay with Paypal, they'll send them out immediately. I had mine in 2-3 days.

As with all things, let the buyer beware. Just giving everyone a head's up on my experience. Hope it helps!

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation with any of the above companies. Just tellin' my story for others.

Wolf.Dose

This topic has been addressed in several places, but I just had a recent experience I'd like to share. Mods feel free to move, sticky or delete as applicable. :D

If you have swollen glow plugs, there's a tool that makes their removal a lot easier than snapping them off, pulling the injectors and trying to dig them out or vacuum them. That tool is an OTC 6005A.

The issue is that OTC apparently doesn't make a lot of these. Seems they may run production for part of the year and then that's it. A lot of the vendors online may show that they have the part in stock, but when you order, you find out otherwise.

So, in case you need some more drama in your life and missed your soap-opera's you can enjoy mine. But mostly this is to save my fellow Steel Soldiers members from the mistake I made in dealing with a company that's essentially a scam.

This is my story and a warning:

Do NOT order this from S&J Discount Tools!!!!!!!!

I found the link to them both on this website and on a google search. They appeared to have the best price and showed that the part was in stock. Awesome. Item was supposed to ship in 2-3 days and be delivered in 6-9 days. Cool. Or so I thought. 2 weeks after I paid them, I still had no part. I contacted them by email, since they do NOT have a customer service phone number!!!

They informed me the part would be backordered for 4 weeks. I asked them to cancel the order and they promptly cut off communication with me. Wouldn't return phone calls or emails, other than with a form email that said, "We're looking into this." I called or emailed every day for almost 2 weeks with no success.

Finally, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, the FTC internet fraud division for military personnel, the Attorney General of Ohio, and a dispute with PayPal and my bank. Finally after over a month, I got my $100 back.

Apparently the company is two brothers in their early 30's working out of their homes in Ohio. There is no brick and mortar store. All of their products are shipped from external vendors and their customer service is outsourced. They stay at home and collect the money. The website is just an electronic facade.

So, if you need to order a glowplug puller, I'd recommend going to a brick and mortar store and ordering it from a human being. In my case, nowhere local could get it quicker than another 4 weeks, but I found a place in Louisiana that has them in stock.

You can call Shreveport Air Tools, Inc (or at their website ToolTopia.com ) and speak to a real live human being in a store who can actually verify how many of the part they have at a given time. They were very polite and helpful. Now, to change my plugs...

BTW- If you need to order Wellman 070s, do it directly from the manufacturer, INDUSA Distributing. If you go to GLOW PLUGS 2 look for "SET OF 8 G070 PLUGS for $59.96". If you pay with Paypal, they'll send them out immediately. I had mine in 2-3 days.

As with all things, let the buyer beware. Just giving everyone a head's up on my experience. Hope it helps!

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation with any of the above companies. Just tellin' my story for others.
Very usefull info