• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Removal tool in Des Moines, IA

Milkman357

I'm gonna change out my glow plugs...

Anybody in Iowa have a glow plug tool to loan out?

I'm not sure if mine are swollen or not.. just getting things lined up.

OL AG '89

I've heard of the elusive GP removal tool, but have never actually seen one...
I just changed mine out with a 3/8's inch deep socket.
They were barely finger tight?????
no special tool needed, just careful when tightening!!!!
You will also find that the AC's, I guess that's what you're replacing with, have a connector that is wider than the stock GP's.
You will have to grind, carefully, on the connector to get them to fit OR replace the female end with new wider connectors, but you will lose the bakelite connector protection of the original.

Milkman357

Thanks

thanks for the tips...

I ordered my GPs off ebay, they are supposed to be narrow already.

I havnt even tried to get one out yet..

If they put anti-sease on the threads it sounds like it should be easy.

I'm just trying to get things together before I dig in..

Oldsouthernboy

I used a 10mm deep socket, I did mine in about 30 minutes, only had two hard to get out, I clamped on the ends with a vise grip and was able to wallow them out. The hardest was the one on back right under the #2 battery. a few choice words and some fancy body moves with blood rushing to my head and I had it out. I suggest you do that one first all the rest will be easy to do. By the way starts very nice now. I now longer carry a old rag and a some gas to get her started. I only had to do this to get her home. I all ready had a set of glow plugs from Saturn Surplus.

Disciple

I wouldn't worry too much about a puller. I had two stuck plugs (the rear two, of course) when I bought my M1008 and was able to get them out. Only had one break off on me. If this happens, pull the injector below the plug and fish out the broken GP tip with some bent wire and needle-nose pliers. I think I used vise-grips and a small pry bar (body panel puller) to pull the stuck plugs. Just break out a fresh bucket of elbow grease and a six pack of :grd: and you'll be fine.

I would recommend using the AC Delco 60G's for plugs. Self-limiting so they're not SUPPOSED to swell, my truck starts right up in sub-zero temps after sitting out all night. No heaters!

Cheers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks