• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Removal Tool

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do any of you folks have a glow plug removal tool like this?

GLOW PLUG TOOL

This looks like the preferred method. I am weighing my options on making or buying. Unfortunately, the one in the attachment is out of stock.

If I could rent or borrow one, that would be great. Happy to let the user hold a deposit while I use it.

Many thanks,
-Economist.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have also seen the one in the TM's (Figure D 63.1). If anyone has experience with one of those, I would love to hear about it. I may try to fab up one of those instead.

Cheers.
-Economist.

Jersey4x4

I have a remover tool but not that one. I never liked the one you have the link to because it pulls straight out of the head and you run a real risk of ripping the threads out of the head and small pieces falling off and getting into the cylinder. I have the OTC tool which unscrews the GP all the way out. It works great and is simple to use. otc makes it and is number OTC6005A but the CTA2820 is way less then OTC and it is the same tool but you can find them on eBay pretty cheap. Also if you remove the injector and pack a paper towel in the injector hole and remove the GP and it does break you just remove the pieces with a magnet or shop vac and nothing will get in the cylinder.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes sir, I did. As a matter of fact, I posted to that thread and did not get a response. Given that my application is the HMMWV, I posted to the HMMWV sub forum to try to get a more targeted response.

Thanks for the link and happy holidays,
-Economist.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am holding the break-and-retrieve as a last resort. I ordered the OTC tool and will give it a shot. Many thanks for the feedback.

-Economist.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to remove a three plugs from a HMMWV canned 6.5L engine last night. A pair of vise-grips and a crowbar. Pryed while twisting. Didn't get in a hurry.

Sorry no pics but no breakage. ;)

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is encouraging. I did a little of that last night, but decided to wait for the tool. Maybe I will give it another shot tonight. Glad to hear you did not break it off. Did you pull the injector and pack the chamber as a precaution or did you have ultimate faith in your method?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine was in a can so I just went for it. If it did break off it would be easy to remove the injector.

You might also want to lube the plug with some WD-40 or my favorite, PB Blaster.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reporting back and another question...

The glow plug tool worked like a champ. Pricey, but worth every penny.

Now, when installing the new glow plugs (recommended by TedG), on the spots were I had to use the glow plug tool, the threads are a little bunged up. Are the 6.2L engines just 10mm x 1.0? I have searched online and in the TM's and that seems to be the consensus. I tried matching it up with a 10mm x 1.0 nut on the old glow plugs and it seemed close, but not enough to convince me to run the tap into the block.

Any thoughts / experience?

allenhillview

I have a remover tool but not that one. I never liked the one you have the link to because it pulls straight out of the head and you run a real risk of ripping the threads out of the head and small pieces falling off and getting into the cylinder. I have the OTC tool which unscrews the GP all the way out. It works great and is simple to use. otc makes it and is number OTC6005A but the CTA2820 is way less then OTC and it is the same tool but you can find them on eBay pretty cheap. Also if you remove the injector and pack a paper towel in the injector hole and remove the GP and it does break you just remove the pieces with a magnet or shop vac and nothing will get in the cylinder.
Just curious , never tried the swollen glow plug yet? Didn't want to so I check maybe to often ,IP sprays well , no volt surges, etc . My question is what takes place as that swollen plug comes thur the head hole, it gets smaller on its on? Just getting ready I know it will happen to me as well at some point. Thanks

Jersey4x4

Just curious , never tried the swollen glow plug yet? Didn't want to so I check maybe to often ,IP sprays well , no volt surges, etc . My question is what takes place as that swollen plug comes thur the head hole, it gets smaller on its on? Just getting ready I know it will happen to me as well at some point. Thanks
Well from my experience the toll that most people like just pulls the swollen plug straight out of the hole in the head and compresses the gp tip and as you can see in one of the previous post it also damages the threads in the head. and the tip or pieces of the tip can still fall off and get into the cylinder. The OTC tool actualy unscrews the gp until it is all the way removed preventing damage to the head and engine. after you unscrew the gp from the head you place the tool over the threads and then the collar and unscrew it some more. The GP tip is soft from swelling and heat so the threads in the head actualy cut threads into the gp tip and help remove the gp without damage to the head. I have used it on all types of engines and so far no damage and no broken tips. As for a cause of swollen gp tips, it could be anything, too long of a glow time, liquid hitting the hot gp, if someone used starting fluid, inferior gp, and so on. I use the wellman dual coil plugs, they guarantee that they can burn all day and not swell. When my GP card went south, I was using starting fluid to start my 1008 and now when I got the new card and was going to change all the plugs I found 7 swollen so I would say the starter fluid is the main cause.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both the OTC tool and sleeve tool. I tried the OTC tool. No luck. The sleeve tool worked like a charm. I did have to go back and run a 10mm by 1.0 tap through the head. I just put some Vaseline in the non threaded part of the tap to catch the metal shaving. There was ALOT of crap in the head. Next time, I will run the tap in every hole (I had already put all the other GP's in).

Good luck!