• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Replacement

Ramzi

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im going to replace my glow plugs but I had a few questions for the brain trust.
  1. I purchased replacement plugs from a well known vendor (the highest grade they offer) but they are 10mm not 3/8. Is it true that the 10mm plugs are inferior? - if so I'll likely try to return them.
  2. From where should I try to buy high quality Glow Plugs? - (Kascar is out of stock)
  3. I have an extractor tool on the way to simplify the work - I also was wondering ... What else should I replace at the same time as my glow plugs?

Attachments

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MAC and HPG carry the real ones, the 10mm hex are always junk. I've even seen Chinese junk ones in Delco boxes that had fake Wellman cage codes.
Make sure to get decent tools. I've had times where I 'got by' with cheap tool i thought i would only use one time. But having a good tool, for a project that can easily go sideways, helps everything go smooth.
....And i never use the tool for "just this one job".......it always gets used again, and always more than i ever expected.

Just my two cents.
Cheers

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure to get decent tools. I've had times where I 'got by' with cheap tool i thought i would only use one time. But having a good tool, for a project that can easily go sideways, helps everything go smooth.
....And i never use the tool for "just this one job".......it always gets used again, and always more than i ever expected.

Just my two cents.
Cheers
Buy cheap, Buy twice!!

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've bought 3 sets of glow plugs, 1 from Mac and 2 from KASCAR. Both have been authentic. (Haven't use the 2nd set from KASCAR yet, it's sitting in my 'spare parts' set...

And yes, 10mm is junk stay away, run away.. They're never real and are highly likely to fail early (compared to the real thing) and can destroy your start box... (previous owner of mine had installed the 10mm.. so I know.)

Ramzi

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had been warned about the 10mm GPs but had already ordered these. It was disappointing to open the package and find these. 3/4 Wellman plugs are on the way so there is hope yet. And like I always say, a man can never have too many tools so the extractor is on the way as well. Ill report back after next weekend.

Ramzi

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you please tell us which vendor gave you 10mm glow plugs so that we can avoid them?
The supplier was gracious about this.
They stated that they were not aware of any issues with the plugs they offered and accepted the return.
100% professional - so we'll just leave it at that.

3/8" GPs are coming from BDC - so there's hope still I can pull out of my wife's parking spot in the garage.

Autonomy_Lost

The supplier was gracious about this.
They stated that they were not aware of any issues with the plugs they offered and accepted the return.
100% professional - so we'll just leave it at that.

3/8" GPs are coming from BDC - so there's hope still I can pull out of my wife's parking spot in the garage.
The question is, will they update their website for the next guy that orders?

Ramzi

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably not, they have already acknowledged that they don't think there is a problem.
We can hope they learn from the feedback and lost sale. Also that since the information is available to buyer, including myself, that "10mm or 3/8" is a question we all ask before buying from now on. Its not my place to out someone publicly for a possible error if they handled the mistake properly.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We can hope they learn from the feedback and lost sale. Also that since the information is available to buyer, including myself, that "10mm or 3/8" is a question we all ask before buying from now on. Its not my place to out someone publicly for a possible error if they handled the mistake properly.
I personally don't care if you out them or not but do not kid yourself, they will happily sell them to the next guy that does not know any better, you think you were the first to buy those crap glow plugs?

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I try to hold hope for my fellow man. Local parts supplier made note in their system about vehicle fitment. I'd purchased non-traditional spark plugs, I was cautious enough to compare with the removed part and check clearance. Would have made contact ( destructive ) with the piston. Showed them part difference and measurements.

All that said, it was a local brick and mortar business, and not the internet guy. I'm sure that lent itself to my benefit.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
we all know who these vendors are, they are even advertisers here in this forum, they know damn well what they sell because they know where they source the parts from, it’s done to make money…..nothing else.
Look…I don’t care if someone sells a cheaper inferior product over an OEM product, the issue is not identifying that part as aftermarket and as a cheaper alternative, worse yet Is the fact the offending parts are labeled and boxed with labeling copied from OEM mfg’s using correct cage codes and Mfr part numbers. As a shop owner? These parts have been a steady stream of money due to the repairs we have had to make on trucks using such inferior product.
Americans have become quite accustomed to letting China steal and copy our IP all so they can say they saved a few dollars…

edit….for full transparency, Turkey is also manufacturing many products, the Hard top kits you see the vendors selling are made in Turkey.

Last edited:

Ramzi

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally own a similar type of business - over the past 30 years we've built the largest, most successful such company in our field.... And I totally agree with the above statements. But as a man who makes a good living selling parts, I hate these sorts of forum flame contests which vilify people and companies - so I personally choose not to participate in them. If the supplier in question is knowingly selling inferior parts, it will - like always come out. Im going to choose to hope they take the feedback Ive given them to heart and will do better in the future.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally own a similar type of business - over the past 30 years we've built the largest, most successful such company in our field.... And I totally agree with the above statements. But as a man who makes a good living selling parts, I hate these sorts of forum flame contests which vilify people and companies - so I personally choose not to participate in them. If the supplier in question is knowingly selling inferior parts, it will - like always come out. Im going to choose to hope they take the feedback Ive given them to heart and will do better in the future.
That view should definitely help the next guy who buys the same product and ends up here with a GP bouncing around in his cylinder…
Think of it as “Yelp” for hmmwv owners.

Last edited:

Ramzi

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That view should definitely the next guy who buys the same product and ends up here with a GP bouncing around in his cylinder…
Think of it as “Yelp” for hmmwv owners.
Im sorry - Im not into the flame game. Buying the wrong plugs was my fault. As a novice, I did not do enough homework on the subject before pulling the trigger. And even more my fault not asking the right question(s) before buying them. I take responsibility for it. They supplier was gracious and took them back... and Im better educated for the experience now.

That said and as a novice here's my advice to other new owners
Do your homework, ask the questions even if they are dumb, and evaluate the responses to make and your won educated decisions - Dont expect to be spoon fed information.

Same advice Id give anyone in the Italian car world. Oh and dont believe what you read on Facebook - those guys are usually full misinformation.

A forum such as this, with respected veterans (such as yourself) is the best place for "a new guy" to get information.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks