• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug replacement

Midnight Rider

First off, I must say that this is an excellent site. There is a wealth of knowledge here that has been a great help to me.

Now, to my story.....This past weekend, I got called to work on a Sunday. The temperature had been in the 10's and 20's the week before. I had been having problems getting my 1009 started since it had gotten that cold. Well Sunday, it wouldn't go. I went to NAPA after work and picked up 8 AC60G glow plugs at a little under $100. I had read on here that those would fit. After searching/reading through the site, I thought that maybe I had some bad glow plugs.

Wednesday, the temperature got to 35 degrees and I managed to get the 1009 started. I drove it down to my parent's house because they have an enclosed, concrete floor garage. I also bought a KATS block heater, I thought it couldn't hurt. It was a little over $20 at O'Reilly's. NAPA didn't have any and Autozone didn't carry block heaters.

Saturday, I started on my project. I also had to change the oil since it was that time. I found that the glow plugs could be removed with a standard 3/8 deep well socket. I found that I had 3 glow plugs not showing any resistance. Back 1 on driver's side, and Back 2 on passenger's side. It took some socket extensions and a breaker bar to free them up. Plus on the passenger side I had to lay on the engine to get to the back 2 plugs. Once I had the new glow plug in I ran into a problem. The original plugs were the Wellman brand and the spade connector on those is skinny compared to the AC60G plugs. I couldn't get the connector on. I ended up grinding down the AC60G plugs so that the connector would go on. I don't think this will cause a problem, but I thought I would mention it in the event that some one else has the same problem. Perhaps sticking with the Wellman brand is a better choice, or perhaps other 1009's have different size connectors?

I've attached some pictures of the plugs to show the difference in them.

I didn't end up putting in the block heater because it was getting late, perhaps next weekend.

So, got 3 new glow plugs in, changed the oil, crossed my fingers, and tried starting it up. It fired on the first try. Now, it had been sitting in my parent's garage since Wednesday and it has gotten up in the 50's this week. It was in the 40's today. The garage is insulated some, but not heated. The 1009 doesn't like sitting for a few days, I've always had to try a few times to start it after it has sat for a few days. I think having all the glow plugs working will improve my cold weather starting. I'll find out tomorrow if it is really improved because it will be sitting outside over night.

I do have a few other demons to chase down now. I've got a strange rattling sound coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment, I think.
Plus, I noticed that I didn't hear the relay's clicking like I did before. I'm hoping that isn't a new problem. I think if they weren't working then it wouldn't have started. So perhaps they just got quiet.

Well I think that covers it, sorry for the long post, but hopefully it will help some others out.

Attachments

dieselpony

If you are still using the automatic glow system, keep in mind that it was designed for "fast" glow plugs like the Wellman G70 or the Delco 13G. The AC 60G are "slow" self regulating glow plugs. If the truck won't start easy when cold, repeat glowing or, if not satisfied, change glow behaviour of the system. Use the search, there are lots of threads about it.

Walter

scrambled

I just installed ac60g plugs in my 1009 today. I changed the ends on the harness to match the new plugs. I figure it will need more at some point and they will be the fat spade connector.

Midnight Rider

If you are still using the automatic glow system, keep in mind that it was designed for "fast" glow plugs like the Wellman G70 or the Delco 13G. The AC 60G are "slow" self regulating glow plugs. If the truck won't start easy when cold, repeat glowing or, if not satisfied, change glow behaviour of the system. Use the search, there are lots of threads about it.

Walter
I didn't know there was a difference between the glow plugs. I just got the AC60G, because I was able to pick them up at NAPA on short notice.

I just installed ac60g plugs in my 1009 today. I changed the ends on the harness to match the new plugs. I figure it will need more at some point and they will be the fat spade connector.
It was easier for me to grind the connector than to replace them all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks