• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug survey

cucvrus

I just wanted to get a survey opinion on Glow Plugs.
I just bought 16 of the GM 6513939 A C Delco 13 G glow plugs. That is all I ever use and I just put a new set in the the Mule, Jersey Indian and Mr Rusty. I have a new set for Mr Crusty and like to keep a spare set in stock in case I have a drive in customer that needs a set or just a few. They list for $18.62 each. I have a complete stock glow plug system in 100% operating condition on all my vehicles. My cost on these is about $11. each. Without getting ugly and over opinionated what do you use and what do they cost you? What is the average life span of your glow plugs? And do you have any modifications to the glow plug system?
I know last month we talked about following the starting procedure on the visor. I always do that but i never set the parking brake. Other then that I automatically do the starting procedure to the letter. I don't think the parking brake set will make much difference.

cpf240

I've been running the Bosch Duraterm glow plugs since I bought the truck and did the 12v glow plug bypass. I bought them from CUCV Electric, with the new terminal connectors. Have had no issues so far.

Hasdrubal

AC-60's, just bought some, $8.25 each. Have manual push button operation, only replace one when it dies, not as a set. They last about 4-6 years.

Sam06

AC 60's, I have a manual GP and a resistor bypass. So far they are working like a charm. It was down in the 30's and the truck cranked right up after hitting the GP Button for a 12 count. I have 8 new ones in the parts bin.

$66($8.25 ea) with free shipping from ebay

Last edited:

dependable

Have been running AC 60s in multiple trucks for over 5 years and these seem durable. Some of my trucks have manual glow, and the self limiting aspect of the 60s is good for that. Usually pay under $9 plus shipping at rock auto, but if you order 4 or 5 sets, the shipping per set gets reasonable.

Last edited:

AECS

AC 60 for me. Over 18 months and have no problems. Removed them when I put in a new IP and injectors to drop compression and make bleading easier. No swelling and all went right back in.

Rvitko

Truck came with weilmans 2 were swollen another 5 were dead, using ac60 on a stock set up, on a sub 40 degree day I may have to cycle twice. A year in zero issues

Rvitko

I should add that I did have to change to the wide spade terminals and I suspect the original issue was caused by the resistors being bypassed by a cake of dirt. Other than cleaning the resistors and changing terminals, stock card and 24v. Those swollen glow plugs came out intact with some wiggling and cursing.

Skinny

AC60g's, no idea what I paid for them 3 years ago. They were moderately priced and in stock at Napa.

Resistor bypass, stock card, works 100% and starts within 2-3 seconds of cranking in anything we typically we see in New England although I try to preheat oil and coolant when possible.

Barrman

60G's in all 4 6.2 engines on the road these days. The newest set is 3 years old and the oldest is 5 years old. They work everytime.

Rick, I use 60g s in the trucks with resistor bypassed only problem that has happened if temp sensor on drivers head fails they will cascade like any other plug. With coupon code at advance they are about 6.50 each. I have sets of 11g and 13g on shelf that were so cheap i couldnt pass up.

sgbenne

I'm still 24v and using the Wellmans; they currently cost me about $6.85 each on e-bay. I live in New England, and though it's my daily driver, the current set has been in for 6years -- cold and all.

How does this happen? Does the card read not enough temperature and keep the plugs energized?
I had a hard starting truck in 20 degree weather. I tested glow plugs and 3 bad, replaced and 2 days later 5 plugs bad. Changed the 5 plugs and temp sensor wt3000 and plugs are fine for a yr now. My belief is temp sensor was bad and always cycling plugs until they burned up. I 60g plugs and an antennaclimber card. Maybe Antennaclimber has some input on this.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a hard starting truck in 20 degree weather. I tested glow plugs and 3 bad, replaced and 2 days later 5 plugs bad. Changed the 5 plugs and temp sensor wt3000 and plugs are fine for a yr now. My belief is temp sensor was bad and always cycling plugs until they burned up. I 60g plugs and an antennaclimber card. Maybe Antennaclimber has some input on this.
If the temp sensor fails in the open mode (high resistance) or is unplugged, the card will see the high resistance and will close the glow plug relay. The card thinks the engine is cold with high resistance from the sensor.

If the temp sensor fails in the closed mode (low resistance) or the yellow and black wires are connected to each other, the card will not close the glow plug relay. The card thinks that the engine is hot with a very low resistance from the sensor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks