• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug system strange noise

Tim Sothard

Turn the key, fire the glow plugs, voltage guage dips down, final gp cycle just before the guage climbs back to normal I'm getting a strange noise that very briefly sounds like shaking a few coins in a tin can. I'm trying to figure out if replacing the GP controller card is smart. Or if this would be associated with the relay. Relay is new st85.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just started having the same issue, it doesn't do it every time. But when it does act up the voltage gauge jumps back and forth rapidly. I think it may be the GP card on mine also.

Drock

Agreed, I'm no electrical expert, but I am familiar with old Ford starter relay's. (Which is kind of what our GP relays are like). They'll chatter like that, either from age or low voltage. I'd spend a day and a six pack cleaning connections and replacing the GP relay:beer:

Jack Lope

I just started having the same issue, it doesn't do it every time. But when it does act up the voltage gauge jumps back and forth rapidly. I think it may be the GP card on mine also.
I had similar problem. Could hear glow plug relay clicking on and off rapidly and watch the voltage drop. The needle would bounce all over with the clicks.
Then one day noticed a blue capacitor on the floor. It fell off the glow plug card. I was able to solder it back on and it was fixed. Seems it was loose for while before it fell out completely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks