• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug system

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello!

I've recently noticed my glow plug system is behaving differently. Since my owenership I've replaced the controller card, relay, and all 8 plugs. Basically the stock system. It had been cycling on and off a few times when the truck started for years. Maybe 2-4 times depending on how cold it was. In the past few weeks it has gotten colder (relatively since it's Southern California) and when the wait light turns off, the system just stays on for maybe 10-15 seconds and then turns off. Never to cycle back on while running. I know any of this only by watching the volts on the ammeter.

The truck still starts and I'm not noticing any white smoke out the exhaust. I think maybe something isn't right but I'm not sure.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello!

I've recently noticed my glow plug system is behaving differently. Since my owenership I've replaced the controller card, relay, and all 8 plugs. Basically the stock system. It had been cycling on and off a few times when the truck started for years. Maybe 2-4 times depending on how cold it was. In the past few weeks it has gotten colder (relatively since it's Southern California) and when the wait light turns off, the system just stays on for maybe 10-15 seconds and then turns off. Never to cycle back on while running. I know any of this only by watching the volts on the ammeter.

The truck still starts and I'm not noticing any white smoke out the exhaust. I think maybe something isn't right but I'm not sure.
Mine acts like that in the summer...it clicks on for about 15 seconds and the light goes out. Right now I am at 37 degrees so now the light stays on longer and once it starts I get a few after glows...I don't think the after glows happen over 70 degrees I think. If you used to get those I'd check your temp sensor in the drivers side head in the back...the new style gm sensor might be needed...it's a 2 prong plug as the original is a single round plug. But if it's starting ok I am not sure I'd mess with it much other than checking that sensor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks