• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug temperature switch

abarkus

Hi i need the corect part number for the temp switch on the glow plug system. I have broke mine when i did head gaskets. Bought one from rock auto it had two spade connectors on it. So i change to spade connectors. Glow plug do not work when connected. take off the wires and it works. Change wires on the temp switch and it would not work take off wires works. I type slowley.

jdemaris

I assume you mean the two-prong glow-plug inhibit switch? If so, it doesn't serve any useful purpose. Just bypass it and join those two wires together. GM used it in the early years to stop the glow plugs from working once engine coolant temp was 125 degrees F or higher.

jdemaris

I hope that someone has a used one with pigtail for sell off old motor
I'm still don't understand exactly what temp switch you are referring to? The two-prong switch used in many 6.2 diesel glow plug systems is the "inhibit switch." It has two prongs on top and there is full continuity between them until the switch reaches a temp of 125 degree F. Then it opens and prevents the glow plugs from working. Easy to buy, easy to replace, and easy to do without. GM later eliminated it anyway.

ida34

It is not the same as a cicy setup. The temp sensor in the cucv setup provides constant variable resistance to tell the glow plug controler how long to run. The temp switch he is refering to is on teh back of the head installed in one of the crossover block off plates. The old style on the cucv had a circular connector with a center pin and outside contact. The newer style switch has two blade connectors and should come with a pigtail to splice in. The replacement is straight forward. Yellow wire to yellow wire and black to black. I have one and I can try to find the number tomorrow. I will also try to post a pick. The temp sensor is needed or the glow plugs will not work in the cucv system.

abarkus

Any luck on finding the part number and where to get one from. It helps the glow plugs from not coming on all the time when not needed.

TyJustice

No problem.

I bought a few of them last year to be used as spares. I can see this part being hard to find someday.

ida34

Is the pictured one like the one you got. I did not have time to look for it today. I hope to have better luck tomorrow. We had a death in the family today so very little work got done.

********update for those that need info regarding the coolant temp sensor*****

Oreillys part#WT3000 Coolant temp sensor (1/26/2013) Price $17.99

Oreillys part#pt191 Pigtail Connector for above coolant temp sensor (1/26/2013) Price $22.99

Attachments

forest522

I replaced mine too, with one from CUCVElectric. Replaced the GP card too. Still didn't work right, so I left it unplugged. Seems to to have been fine without it. My local 6.2 diesel mechanic recommended just leaving it unplugged. Apparently it was a GM problem. Mysterious.

forest522

Yes, had two of those as well. Both switched off the re-glow period after slight warm up. Not sure what the deal is. Card is new as well. But, good news is, it's still unplugged and there has been no issues so far. Plugs get run every time and I guess that is ok. Thanks for the reply though!

Small Prepper

Afternoon

Question: Coming out of the fire wall I have an Blue wire along with the Coolant temp sensor wires (Yellow and Black) (In the same hole) It has an lock type connector on the end of it. Dose any one know what the blue wire plugs into?
I looked around and can't find what it goes to. I also looked in manuals and can't seem to find anything there.

Thanks for any help you can give me

S.P.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks