• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug threads damaged

oilcan

I have a 6.2 with one buggered-up glow plug hole. The GP threads in and will stay in place when it's running, but there's too much leakage around the threads for that cylinder to fire properly.

Is there a specific helicoil (or other) kit for this application, or just hunt down the generic 10-1 metric kit?

Barrman

Adam,
I have never tried it on glow plugs, but a helicoil like you mentioned should work. They work on high compression gas engine spark plugs with aluminum heads. Is it one you can get to or one you will have to pull the head to even get a drill into? Might as well go with the new head then.

oilcan

I have a total of 6 engines laying around in various states of repair, so a spare head isn't a problem. The glow plug hole in question is right out there in the open... An easy fix, if the thread repair would hold up to the 400 psi.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try it, what do you have to loose? A bit of time and $30?

Jersey4x4

I was always told that the threads did not do any sealing, it was the collar on the end of the GP that actually crushed down when torqued properly to make the seal, that is why there is no sealant on the threads. I was also told never to remove a GP and use it over again because of this same issue. The casting may be different in each hole so definitely don't move them from cylinder to cylinder. Of course we have all done this but I guess maybe there is certain situations that a problem will occur. At least that is what we were told at Ohio Diesel Tech. I do have a 6.2 GM engine book and can look in there also but it makes logical sense about the crush factor of the collar.

I have a 6.2 with one buggered-up glow plug hole. The GP threads in and will stay in place when it's running, but there's too much leakage around the threads for that cylinder to fire properly.

Is there a specific helicoil (or other) kit for this application, or just hunt down the generic 10-1 metric kit?

Wildmax

I was always told that the threads did not do any sealing, it was the collar on the end of the GP that actually crushed down when torqued properly to make the seal, that is why there is no sealant on the threads. I was also told never to remove a GP and use it over again because of this same issue. The casting may be different in each hole so definitely don't move them from cylinder to cylinder. Of course we have all done this but I guess maybe there is certain situations that a problem will occur. At least that is what we were told at Ohio Diesel Tech. I do have a 6.2 GM engine book and can look in there also but it makes logical sense about the crush factor of the collar.
My sons GMC Yukon blewout a spark plug yesterday. Doing some research I found this kit for Glowplug thread repair.

++ TIME-SERT Thread Repair ++ Glow plug thread repair M10x1.0 glow plug thread repair M10x1
Time'Sert is the best. I bought one and used it to do a 4.6 mustang spark plug in place. Complete success. The best kit on the market.

oilcan

I've used the ford spark plug repair kits before. (a LOT of people have!) My dad's "retired" highway truck has blown two spark plugs out in the last year or so. Luckily, it didn't rip the fuel rail open and cause a fire. And still no recall, as far as I've seen.

Ok, so I've decided to replace the head down the road, but figured I'd try a few bubba fixes just for fun.

First off, a guy mentioned pipe dope... Yeah, I thought the same thing, but what could it hurt? Nuthin', that's what. I swabbed the glow plug with the stuff, screwed it in, and let it set for a day. No dice. The stuff is good on plumbing, but not so good for holding engine compression! Now we know, and knowing is half the battle.

Now what's the shadetree mechanic's second best friend? (I couldn't figure out a good way to use #1, duct tape) That's right, it's JB weld. First, I had to clean all the gunk out of the gp hole, then I lightly coated the plug with grease so the epoxy would release when I need to unscrew it. Mix up the goo and blob a thin coat on the threads, then a little thicker around the chamfer where it's supposed to seal in the head. Screw it in until it just barely bottoms out, and let it cure. Once it's good and set up, tighten it down and test fire. BINGO! So far, so good, but I'll need to run it more than I have to see if it holds up.

You know what they say... There's nothing more permanent than a temporary repair.

Jersey4x4

With the heat JB weld may burn/power out. if it does I know "Marine Tex" does not. I have used it on exhaust manifolds and it did not burn off and mixes just like JB weld

oilcan

Marine Tex... I'll keep that in mind. I've put the JB Weld to some high heat before, but not heat and high pressure. We'll see how it holds up soon enough.

On a side note, I used JB Weld and not JB Quick since the original stuff is supposed to be more durable. Just thought I'd put it out there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks