• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug tip removal

peggrw

How would you attempt to remove this swollen glow plug tip?
View attachment 913376
Not a recommendation because I am not all that mechanically inclined... Had a swollen GP tip break off and wedge itself in the hole. On a HMMWV the injector port is right there, so I thought about pulling the injector and tapping the tip back into the engine to remove through the port. But decided to let a mechanic do it. He got something to tap on the tip a little just to loosen it, started the engine and on about the third try of that process the compression shot the tip out like a bullet.

18E40

Well with some effort I got the stuck glow plug tip out. I clamped (very tightly) some Vice Grips to the glow plug sticking out of the head and then used some long pliers between the tip of the Vice Grips and the head to gain some leverage. I was eventually able to work it out! Hope this helps somebody.
D8A5B423-23D1-4A4F-A6C2-88574A38E058.jpeg

nyoffroad

Maybe someone can help. I tried everything/ The probe moves freely in and out but you can see it sill won't come completely out. Any help would be appreciated.
Soak it down with penetrating oil and grab it tightly with vise grips and apply pressure using a pulling-twisting motion , KEEP IT IN A STRAIGHT LINE, DO NOT GO SIDE TO SIDE AS IT WILL BRAKE OFF! Work it out a bit and then push it back in just a bit and apply more oil and repeat.
Some people say to just get it jammed tight in the hole and then hit the starter and let engine compression blow it out, I suppose that works and I don't see a problem with it I've just never done it. Good luck, keep us informed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks