• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Tool needed

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked up a truck and it has one of the back GP's stuck...I went to buy the tool from J&J Racing but they are out of stock...does anyone have one they want to sell or could lend me ?

thanks, David

erniemigi

I just called you about how we did it on my M1009, if you need any further help or have a question just PM me, hope it all works out good for you

Onestar

You shouldn't need the tool and if you wait it is going to be a very long time. Here is an easy way. Scary at first but trust me very easy.

1. Take out the injetor for that glow plug
2. Unthread the gp as far as you can so its not catching any threads at all.
3. Use a good set of vice grips and bend the glow plug back and forth until it breaks off
4. Use eiter a small magnet (the gp tip usually isn't that magnetic becuase of the buildup on the gp tip) or a long set of needle nose to get it out. If you use a magnet make sure the tip is on the tool well there is alot of other metal to get it stuck to.
5. You will have to replace the copper seal for the injector but you can get a whole kit from advanced auto parts very cheap

Keith_J

If you use the break-off method, be sure to have that piston at top dead center. You can use compressed air to blow the fragment out from the glow plug hole.

As always, wear personal protective equipment. Stuff will be flying out toward you. Cover your eyes. Please.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GP

Thanks for the replies. The only one stuck is of course the rear most passenger side!!! This is why I hate manual switches for the GP's you almost always have swollen plugs. This truck has had some..... let me say interesting custom work done on the wiring!!

I want to go back to the original GP card, but the PO installed a button bypassing ( I think ) everything so it just a hot wire…. My question is the “wait” light still come on and seems to cycle but I don’t hear the switch..if the “wait” light is on does that mean the system is still intact? On further clue is the PO method for starting was to push and hold the manual GP switch with the key OFF then start the truck.

Thanks, David

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ground for wait light is controlled by the GP controller. If it is cycling then the controller card is still installed and might be completely fuctional.

The ground for GP relay is also controlled by the card. It may not be hooked up.

Send some pics of what you have and we will see if we can get it restored.

I always enjoy working with Bubba wiring.....:wink:

Last edited:

chevyCUCV

Hehe i am about to bubba my wiring up. I am tired of the stock cycling. Plus it will be a deterrent for people to use it

And i have the tool, but i broke 2 gp when i used it. Just pull the injector. I have done it without replacing the copper washer, no probelms.

K9Vic

They seem to never have that tool in stock, I think they should give me a free one for all the free press from my YouTube video, ;-):lol::)

Please see my video, it shows how to use this tool and the method of removing a broken tip. The broken tip part starts at 2:50, it is better to use a curved or straight hemostat clamp over the pliers I mention.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwBXG6wZsg[/media]

Hasdrubal

" This is why I hate manual switches for the GP's you almost always have swollen plugs. "

I've had a manual push button on my GP's since I got it 8 years ago. Using AC 60's, never had a swollen plug. So, no..you dont always almost have a swollen plug.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GP

The ground for wait light is controlled by the GP controller. If it is cycling then the controller card is still installed and might be completely fuctional.

The ground for GP relay is also controlled by the card. It may not be hooked up.

Send some pics of what you have and we will see if we can get it restored.

I always enjoy working with Bubba wiring.....:wink:

Hey Joe, wait utill you see this stuff... should be fun. Not to mention I was told by the PO (who is an honest guy but knows nothing about how the truck works) that he had a " military truck guru" work on the truck!!! Yeah right...I don't think so. I will owe you another beer...

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GP out!!!

Hey John ....belay that package..an ole school trick new to me worked like a charm!!

Thanks to another member who was kind enough to call an share an "old school trick" for getting out swollen GP's without a special tool and without breaking off the tip, I was able to get out the passenger rear GP in less than 5 min!!! fat lady sings

Thank YOU!!!

Last edited:

donalloy1

John belay that package..an ole school trick work new to me worked like a charm!!

Thanks to erniemigi who was kind enough to call an share an "old school trick" for getting out swollen GP's without a special tool and without breaking off the tip, I was able to get out the passenger rear GP in less than 5 min!!! fat lady sings

Thank YOU!!!

Now on to the wiring....any help would be appreciated. Tell me what you see..I think he just hot wired the GP switch with a push button.
Please share the " old school trick " with all. Thanks in advance, DMLII sends

erniemigi

sorry i hadn't responded back on this, i was involved in a bad accident on the jobsite which had me layed up for quite awhile, all i told him about getting the plug out was that we just pulled the injector out and put a small amount of a paper towel down inside just incase, unscrewed the glowplug and pull it out as far as it would go and snap off the tip and push the piece back inside till it fell on the towel and pulled out the piece with a small needle nose, remove the towel, reinstall injector and put in new glow plug, i have seen some guys spray some lubricant into the glow plug area and slowly pull out the swollen plug but i wouldn't recommend it as you take a **** of a gamble of it still breaking off and the end falling down into the chamber

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My bad...

sorry i hadn't responded back on this, i was involved in a bad accident on the jobsite which had me layed up for quite awhile, all i told him about getting the plug out was that we just pulled the injector out and put a small amount of a paper towel down inside just incase, unscrewed the glowplug and pull it out as far as it would go and snap off the tip and push the piece back inside till it fell on the towel and pulled out the piece with a small needle nose, remove the towel, reinstall injector and put in new glow plug, i have seen some guys spray some lubricant into the glow plug area and slowly pull out the swollen plug but i wouldn't recommend it as you take a **** of a gamble of it still breaking off and the end falling down into the chamber

I am sorry but I didn't take you advice, I am sure this way works but I had another member call me and suggest that I use his "ole school" way and I tried that first.

What I did was warm up the engine to full temp and shut off, then unplug and unscrew the stuck GP. Next have someone re-start the engine while you grab the bad GP with vice grips and push the GP in while the engine is running...so the effect is that on every compression stroke the GP fires out toward the hole while you are holding it...it only took about 30sec for the engine to spit out the GP. Worked like a charm. sorry for the confusion.

David

Last edited:

Keith_J

I am sorry but I didn't take you advice, I am sure this way works but I had another member call me and suggest that I use his "ole school" way and I did tried that first.

What I did was warm up the engine to full temp and shut off, then unplug and unscrew the stuck GP have someone re-start the engine while I grab the bad GP with vice grips and push the GP in while the engine is running...so the effect is that on every compression stroke the GP fires out toward the hole while I am holding it...it only took about 30sec for the engine to spit out the GP. Worked like a charm. sorry for the confusion.

David
Pure genius!! Better than the slide hammer since it is being pushed out.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's how we did them before tools were available and when the dealer said to simply snap them off and run it to expel the tip.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GP

That's how we did them before tools were available and when the dealer said to simply snap them off and run it to expel the tip.
What I like about this is that you don't have to break off the plug. The heat makes the GP soft and the compression does the rest.

David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks