• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug trouble

Cucvanthony

My M1009 has been my daily driver for 10 years. Come across a problem and looking for help. My glow plugs continue to cycle nonstop. Is this a glow plug card issue?

cucvrus

I have had this happen on a plow truck. I went crazy trying to find it. I was baffled when all it came out to be was a poor ground on the front battery. I removed the cables cleaned the connections and install a few new grounding star washer and that fixed the issue. It could be a loose wire in your case. very hard to diagnose from afar. Good Luck. Report back. Make sure all the system is clean and snug. All connections should be neat and unhacked. Check the right rear head sensor for loose melted wires. Check everything. Left upper rear head sensor. Good Luck. The list goes on.

Cucvanthony

Thanks for getting back to me. I opened up the card box and took it out. It looked perfect so I cleaned out the case and the card and put it back in. It's working good now. Cleaned up connections and replaced the relay on the firewall for good measure. Before I did anything I experimented with a manual glow plug. I'm kind of wondering why I didn't do that 10 years ago.

Cucvanthony

Thanks for getting back to me. I opened up the card box and took it out. It looked perfect so I cleaned out the case and the card and put it back in. It's working good now. Cleaned up connections and replaced the relay on the firewall for good measure. Before I did anything I experimented with a manual glow plug. I'm kind of wondering why I didn't do that 10 years ago.
Did not do a very good job looking for the head sensor. Is it literally on the back of the block or just in the back on the driver side?

cucvrus

You have one on the top rear of the drivers side head. And you have one on the rear lower passengers side head. Both can cause issues with glow plugs if they are shorted or poorly connected. I say NO to manual glow plugs. But do as you wish. good Luck and Happy Holidays. Be Safe.

MarcusOReallyus

Because he likes to keep it stock. 😁

A manual button is a good backup. It doesn't change the stock system. If your card fails, a backup button will get you home.

cucvrus

Well it's a long story. I was thumbing thru the glow plug manual by CUCV Electric and read it many times page for page . The writer has many valid reasons not to alter the glow plug system. Just maintain it in place as it was designed. I strongly agree. Word for word. I have had no less than 100 CUCV's bought and sold during my life. I never had one with a push button and I kept everything on them stock (wiring and fuel systems). Have I encountered problems? Yes. I just fixed them as they came along. I also had many customers CUCV's that were brought to me (some from hundreds of miles away) all hacked with all sorts of gadgets and switches that were mostly hacked alterations. I removed all the wizardry and returned the CUCV's to stock. So I know you can change things and make it work. But for the simplicity of the machine. It worked for 30+ years let it work as designed. It seems to have a butterfly effect when you cut the first wire. Anyway I know many disagree and I also know many strongly agree, Happy Holidays, Enjoy Family and Friends and Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks