• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug Voltage

86M10086.2L

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Which I may be. But I remember reading that the original 24v Wellman 70 glow plugs actuall run on 12 volts and the civilian 12volt glow plugs run on 6 volts. Or is it straight forward 24volt and 12 volt? Can't remember where I heard that but I can't shake that info out of my head.

MarcusOReallyus

Okay, here's how it works:

24v is fed from the rear battery + terminal to the resistor on the firewall. When the GP relay closes to energize the GPs, this resistor drops the 24v to 12v, and feeds that 12v through the relay to the GPs.

If everything is working correctly, you should see about 12v at the GP terminal when the GPs are activated, zero when they are not.

It does not matter which brand you are using - a 12v GP is a 12v GP.

Here's what throws people: The resistor drops the voltage only when there is current flowing to the GPs. When the relay is open, and no current is flowing, you will see 24v on BOTH sides of the resistor, and 24v at the input of the relay. Like this:

RELAY OPEN: Rear battery ----- 24v ----- Resistor ----- 24v ----- Relay ----- 0v ----- GPs

RELAY CLOSED: Rear battery ----- 24v ----- Resistor ----- 12v ----- Relay ----- 12v ----- GPs

24v GPs are never used on a CUCV, unless someone has modified the system. 12v GPs have always been standard. Wellmans or AC Delco or some other brand are a personal choice.

It's a good idea to read through (completely) the "GP Module Theory of Operation" thread and the "GP Resistor Bank Bypass" threads in the "Helpful Threads" sticky at the top of the forum.

Last edited:

86M10086.2L

That's a great explanation and it makes perfect sense to me. My truck has a "glow plug saver" system installed in it from a previous owner. I suspect it might be an old Alpha truck. Works but I'm pretty sure I have a few bad plugs. Gonna put a set of Wellman 70s I have in and see what's what. Thanks for the reply

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks