• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug voltage

doodaa

Hi I just posted earlier but think it was in wrong place been reading alot of you guy's stuff and have learned more than imagined.I have one thing bugging me I have been chasing down glow plug issue,put in my own momentary switch for glow plugs to selonoid and it works but here's where I am confused in other posts it talks of voltage stepping down at glow plug connector to 12v mine stays at 24v.Is my resisitor bad?If so then I need to bring only 12v to that relay and I should be fine.I hope thats it.I have made quite a few mistakes so far on this truck I hate to waste more time and money.Thanks for any help and HAPPY NEW YEAR
Jim

ida34

Where did you test for 12 volts and where. You have got to be real specific with this. Also, how long did you measure? Point is, the resistor drops the voltage to the relay but only when it has a load from the glow plugs. It also takes a few seconds for the load to drop. If you have the relay is working and is sending power to the plugs you should see a drop within a few seconds. If after a few seconds, the voltage is still 24 volts then your resistor has shorted or all of your glow plugs are burned out. Check the glow plugs with a test light lead connected to the positive of the 12 volt side and touch the probe to each glow plug terminal with the connector disconnected. If the light does not light then the plug is bad. You can also check the resistance between the terminal and the body. The resistance is should be around 3 ohms with clean connections IIRC. The resistor is replaced a lot as being bad because it is allowing 24 volts but I think it is mostly replaced or bypassed by people that do not understand the voltage from a volt meter is not enough load to drop the voltage. The full load of 8 working glow plugs is what will drop the voltage down. If one plugs fails than the the voltage to the remaining plugs goes up. This causes a failure in the next plug by over voltage and so on with each newly bad plug adding more voltage to the rest of them. This is why we see a lot of trucks with all the glow plugs bad and it is also why people bypass the resistor.

doodaa

Hi..Thank you that is helpfull.When I got truck all plugs were bad no resistance on any.I replaced 4 on drivers side and they burned out and you explained to me why in last response $50 lesson for me.Just got back from parts store and all the had were AC 60 10.5 v.What I am understanding is it would be easiest to bypass resistor and shoot 12v to glow plugs?Thanks again for your help.

ida34

You could bypass it and the 60Gs will work. To be safe you can bypass the resistor. You will not be able to start it with the slave cable if the batteries are totally dead. The slave cable provides only 24 volt and does not provide any 12 volt for starting. Given a few minutes the slave operation will charge both batteries and you will get enough power to start the thing but it will take longer than if you had the glow plug relay feeding from the resistor.

doodaa

Thank You...We bypassed resister and basically put our own 12v system in for plugs,as fo jumping I don't have the slave cable or know anyone who does so I most likely will not be using it.Thank you for your help with this isuue hopefully no others arise (soon anyway).
Jim