• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug wiring idea. Comments please

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M1008 as well as two other MVs so I want
to be able to jump my other MVs with my CUCV and visa versa.

I also like the idea of feeding my glow plugs from the 12 volt bus to avoid possible problems with cascade.

My idea is to use a single pole double throw knife switch to switch between the 12 volt bus and the
resistor bank to feed the glow plug relay.

Normally it would be switched to source from the 12 volt bus. Then if I need to get jumped from one of my other MVs I can switch to the resistor bank.

All comments good or bad are welcome.
Thanks

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very interesting idea.

One thing to keep in mind, the GP's draw 100 amps when all of them are working. All of your components will need to be rated for that amperage draw.

Where would you mount the knife switch and protect it from accidental contact on the exposed parts of it? Perhaps use a high current Anderson type connector to switch between voltage sources? Might be safer to keep all of the connections insulated thus reducing the possibility of being accidentally shorted to ground.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good idea. I am not familiar with Anderson switches. Can you suggest a particular one?
I was thinking of putting some kind of non conducting cover over it but I like your idea better.
I was going to mount the switch on the firewall near the relay.
Thanks for the input.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed the resistor and wired the GP feed to Battery 1. It has worked with no problems for at least 10 years now.

scottladdy

We use both of these in our robotics competitions. A word of caution on the single powerpoles. They will come apart with low force compared to the SB connectors. Anderson makes a small black fitting that provides some security.

https://powerwerx.com/powerpole-connector-retention-clip

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken: Problem with that is that if both batteries are dead then you wont beable to jump start it from anoter MV with a NATO cable. for me, that is a requirement.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would it be safe to provide the 12 vot source from the Eng wiring block connection on the bulkhead, or should it be a seperate feed from the #1 battery with a fuseable link in the wire?

This would be using the Anderson connectors with the locking pin as described earlier.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that would be fine.

If it were mine(this is what I did), I would simply disconnect the original ring terminal at the GP relay and tape the ring terminal over and tie wrap it to the windshield washer hose. Then make a new 10" 10ga wire and feed the gp relay with that, from the 12v stud on the fire wall.

If the need ever arises to supply the GP relay with 24v(slave start the cucv with dead batteries), I could then simply switch the supply wire back to original.

To be honest, that never was needed in all the years of owning a cucv.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks DH, I actually like your idea better. At least I've done the ground work for someone who
is in a situation where that happens alot. I will be using your method though.