• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug wiring question

chicagodiesel

Hey All,

It's me again! Tore apart my dash today to see where all wires were going and looked over Karl's glow plug schematic which was extremely useful. Seems PO took off the pink/black wire along with the blue wire from the glow plug relay (see them hanging in the picture). This has been replaced with a manual ground glow plug button on the dash. The yellow voltage monitor wire has also seemed to have disappeared.

The overall wiring is as follows (please see picture): 12v from the first (front) battery goes to the relay. The PO has also jumped this top post to the next one down (I don't know why). This is the real area of concern to me as no one seems to be mentioning this anywhere. The manual ground switch is attached to the post below that (not the top as noted in other posts). The bottom post is then running to the glow plugs.

My plan was to continue using the manual ground, however, I was going to switch the manual ground up one post and remove the jump from the 12V line-in to this post. Should I then attach the pink/black wire to the post below that? Seems a post would get lonely all on its own. Thoughts? How should I be talking about these without calling them posts? Gets confusing.

Thanks for the help.

Doug J.

Attachments

1stSarge

It will work as it is, however, by having the Jumper wire from the top post to the next one down, you have the ability to glow the plugs without the key being on, it will have power to it all of the time( least safe ).

By reconnecting the pink/black wire, you will only be able to glow the plugs when the ignition switch is turned “on” ( a bit safer ).

All other connections will work as they are, however nearly every safety device built into the system is bypassed this way. I don’t even see any kind of fusible link.

chicagodiesel

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna switch it before I put in new glow plugs. We'll see how well the card is working. Seems silly to be able to run the plugs without the key in the ignition. Never used the card before...I'd assume you just turn the key and wait for the wait light to go off then start er up. I've only ever used manual glows on diesels. It'll be something new for me.

What are you're thoughts on the alternator battery setup? You can see in that picture the two blue wires going into the 12v junction box. Those are from each of the alternators. Both batteries are hooked up to that as well and pulling their charge from it. Both batteries are then individually (not in series) run to the 24v positive (I know it's no longer 24v). This is where the starter power is hooked up to...I'd assume to be pulling from both batteries to start. And yes, it's a 12v starter. Like I said, it's all working, but I'd rather troubleshoot now than later. I can wire houses but trucks still trip me up a bit....learning, so thanks for the help.