• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plugs ? Controller?

PeeWeeQ

So, I parked the M1009 in the driveway last night after it had been running just fine.

I went to start it for work, and the WAIT light took forever to go out. It turned over and over and the wait light came on again while I was cranking. I went through this a few times...

Any ideas? I know I need to hit the TM, but, I'm not home right now and just trying to find a place to start...

MarcusOReallyus

Turn the key on, and ground the light blue wire and listen for the relay to engage. You should hear it clunk.

If that works, get your meter out. Find out if you have voltage at the top connector of the GP relay:

• If you have NOT bypassed the resistor, it should be 24v when the relay is NOT engaged, and 12v when the relay IS engaged.
  • If you HAVE bypassed the resistor, it should be 12v when the relay is NOT engaged, and 12v when the relay IS engaged.

Now check the bottom connector:

• Bypass or not, it should be 0v when the relay is NOT engaged, and 12v when the relay IS engaged.

Last edited:

PeeWeeQ

Hoping I can get to this tomorrow....

Just curious, does it sound like a GP or relay issue? I've never seen the WAIT light come on while I was cranking before...Does that have any meaning in the scheme of troubleshooting?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a GP controller card, new improved ones are available from SS member AntennaClimber.

Always a good idea to have a spare card handy.

Bighorn

If it is a GP controller card, new improved ones are available from SS member AntennaClimber.

Always a good idea to have a spare card handy.
Good advice.
I wired a manual switch also but keep the card in operation.
When I lost all my glow plugs (bad resistor) my card went into protection mode where it clicked the gp light and solenoid on and off.
Removal of the temp sensor will make the light stay on longer but also the glow plugs.
So if the light is staying on for a long time and the solenoid is operating, but truck doesnt start, you aren't actually getting the glow plugs hot.
Solenoid problem internally?
Glow plug problem?
Ground or power supply issue?

Because it happened so quuckly, I would check the solenoid for power out to gp's first.
Then check gp's themselves each for resistance.
Then check grounds.

I bought a new production gp card from ebay and keep a spare gp card in my parts box.
Never need to use the manual button but have it wired in just in case.