• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plugs low voltage

87cr250r

The voltage to the glow plugs should actually be 10.5 volts. Can you give us a better description of not starting? Is the engine turning on the starter? Are you getting any vapor out of the exhaust? You have clearly made an assumption but not told us anything about what you know.

Navin

The voltage to the glow plugs should actually be 10.5 volts. Can you give us a better description of not starting? Is the engine turning on the starter? Are you getting any vapor out of the exhaust? You have clearly made an assumption but not told us anything about what you know.
This was the first thing that I have checked. It's an 85 m1009 6.2. Been sitting for 2 months while it's being restored. New batteries and turns over very fast. Almost acts like it wants to start. That's why i thought maybe the glow plugs weren't working and the fact that they are new a.c. delco that I just put on. I haven't tried starting fluid yet. I've never had a diesel anything. Total idiot on these. It was running good when I started the restore. Probably something not hooked back up right.

Barrman

DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID!!!!!!!

Bad thing can happen.

Are you getting any kind of smoke out the exhaust while cranking?

No smoke of any color normally means no fuel at the injectors. Crack the lines at the injectors and check for pulsing fuel spray while cranking. Keep cranking in 30 second intervals until you get pulsing fuel spray. TiGutenberg the lines and it should fire right up.

White greasy smoke while cranking means fuel but not enough heat. That is when you worry about glow plugs.

87cr250r

Watch the volt meter on the dash. It should dip during the glow plug cycle. That is a quick way to determine glow plugs are working.

Look for white smoke from exhaust. No smoke means no fuel. The throttle shaft seal on the injection pumps fail and that lets the pump drain when the truck sits. Crack the injector lines and verify pump is working.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to give too obvious of a reply but sounds like you've done some work to the vehicle, did you happen to check if the pink wire on the IP was inadvertently disconnected? And to tag onto the other recent replies, did you have the injectors out/disconnected before? It takes surprisingly long to purge the air out of the injector lines if you've had them removed or replaced the injectors, when I changed mine I had to crank the motor over for a few separate cycles (letting the starter cool for a couple mins in between) even with the lines cracked at the injectors.

Navin

Bad thing can happen.

No smoke of any color normally means no fuel at the injectors. Crack the lines at the injectors and check for pulsing fuel spray while cranking. Keep cranking in 30 second intervals until you get pulsing fuel spray. TiGutenberg the lines and it should fire right up.

White greasy smoke while cranking means fuel but not enough heat. That is when you worry about glow plugs.
Thanks I'll check this.

Navin

Watch the volt meter on the dash. It should dip during the glow plug cycle. That is a quick way to determine glow plugs are working.

Look for white smoke from exhaust. No smoke means no fuel. The throttle shaft seal on the injection pumps fail and that lets the pump drain when the truck sits. Crack the injector lines and verify pump is working.
I'll do this asap. Thanks

Navin

Not to give too obvious of a reply but sounds like you've done some work to the vehicle, did you happen to check if the pink wire on the IP was inadvertently disconnected? And to tag onto the other recent replies, did you have the injectors out/disconnected before? It takes surprisingly long to purge the air out of the injector lines if you've had them removed or replaced the injectors, when I changed mine I had to crank the motor over for a few separate cycles (letting the starter cool for a couple mins in between) even with the lines cracked at the injectors.
I could hear a little clicking when I removed and reattached the pink wire and I'm about deaf so maybe its o.k. I'll purge it soon when it's ok for me to smell like diesel.

Navin

Bad thing can happen.

Yep. No smoke of any type. Ill bleed it next week. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks