• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plugs recomendation

dozenjeeps

I am replacing my IP with a rebuilt one and have read through the forums and found that some use the AC60'S and some the Wellmans.........what has the best track record as I want to get this tuck running like it should........thanks in advance for any advice..........

ARYankee

I use the Bosch Duraterms. You can do a search on the site about them. They are pricey but I think that they are worth it. So far I haven't had any issues.

Hasdrubal

I've has great success with AC60's, about $10 ea. Used them since 2005, on my second set. Get between 4-6 years on them. They don't swell but do need a longer "burn" time, hence I have a manual glow plug system.

dozenjeeps

thanks for the replies, will look into the Bosch as I do like their products but have read more about the ac60's and for the amount I use the truck it may be my route to go.............

sandcobra164

I've read that the AC60G's need a longer glow cycle. This may be of concern to the OP as he is in Wisconsin. Here in GA, the AC60G's work fine on our coldest days (roughly 19 degrees positive) without any changes to the existing controller system. I did the resistor bypass and strongly recommend it after pulling 5 swollen plugs, one of which broke the tip and required injector removal.

Nate475

I just put a set of Diesel RX glow plugs in my M1009. You can buy them for about $60 bucks a set on Ebay from various diesel repair shops. The Diesel RX plugs are made specifically for the M1009 and the M1008 CUCVs. The civy model plugs have a wider blade and your stock military slip on connectors won't fit on them very well. On the other hand if your slip on connectors are looking crappy I would order a set of civy plugs with new plug connectors from CUCV Electric. That way you won't have to bother with the military plug version ever again. The Diesel RX glow plugs are supposed to be good long lasting plugs and you can't beat the price on Ebay.

MarcusOReallyus

I I would order a set of civy plugs with new plug connectors from CUCV Electric. .

CUCV Electric has been incommunicado for about a month or more. People aren't getting orders, or return phone calls or emails. Nobody seems to know what's going on with him.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing has changed since the last time we beat this to death.

btw, diesel rx are wellmans.

AC60G will work just fine at -20F with once cycle if your other systems are correct also.

dozenjeeps

Thanks for the replies, ordered the wellmans on ebay tonight when I saw from Doghead that they were the diesel RX, now I have the rebuilt IP and the new GP'S so hopefully my original problem of the truck not starting after it runs for awhile will be solved.......at least two of the major issues will be updated, I bought the truck a few months ago from GL and have had most of the other maintenance done so hopefully she will be a good runner now ...

Nate475

Did you need a special wrench to remove the IP mounting bolts? I've seen at least two different wrenches for those bolts. One was S shaped, the second one was slightly different. I've also seen a tool with pins that is used to rotate the injection pump. I'm aware of the static timing tool, but I'm not sure what I need besides for that. Also, did you static time your pump and then drive it to a shop to have it dynamically tuned? And if not, how did you dynamically tune it? I'm still researching that repair so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The IP is a future repair for me considering that the pump is 27 years old and the seals are subject to failure. I was thinking about doing it before I do my Banks turbo charger install.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will never use wellmans again. They can and do swell. (more than any others I've used).

Said it a hundred times before. I use AC60G.

Nate475

How long do they normally last before they swell? The last thing that I want to do is go through another broken glow plug repair job. There's nothing quit like laying on top of an engine compartment for hours on end. I felt like I was beaten and whipped after that job was finished.

Nate475

I'll pick up some AC60G in a few months and change them over well before the diesel RX ones go on me. The advice is well appreciated, thank you. Do the AC60G plug require the civilian style wire connector plug?

sandcobra164

The AC60's do require a slightly wider terminal. I've seen pictures on here of people grinding the terminals on the AC60 down to fit the factory connector and I've seen pictures of people replacing the terminals like I did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks