• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plugs suck

84cucv1ton

when 5 are stuck. and the wellman 070 i think they are. somewhere i read they dont swell i thought. i have 5 swollen ones right in front of me. took 3 hours... im wet from head to toe. that was not fun

BiggsChevys

I recently pulled my wellman 070's... 5 were swollen bad, 2 were swolen enough to cause resistance during removal, and the best still required a little tug to remove.... all of these glow plugs tested good weeks earlier, only took 1 bad start to smoke them (gp module burned up)....

ida34

No glow plug is swell proof. If abused enough any glow plug will swell. The military started out with 13g plugs but later they were using the wellman 070 plugs for replacement. I am not sure if the old ones are self regulating. The self regulation is the thing that is supposed to keep them from swelling. There must either be old 070 plugs that are not self regulating or they can go bad with the self regulating feature malfunctioning.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even the newest Wellmans will swell.

Read the forums, none of this is new news......

Keith_J

All glow plugs have positive temperature coefficient, meaning as temperature rises, the resistance increases. This is what defines a resistance heater, if they don't have a PTC, they will not last any time. PTC is a negative feedback.

The problem with swelling is more of mechanical design and application. In indirect injection, running at high power with the glow plugs engaged will cause overheat swelling. There is no tachometer or throttle sense in the GP module. So when the engine is cool, be gentle with the throttle and GP swelling will be reduced. The GPs are on when the engine is cold and just started, this is called "after glow period".

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks