• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plugs

SFC Deal

Hello All, I have an 1984 M1009 with just under 29,000 miles on it. It runs great with NO issues. Would I benefit by changing the Glow Plugs to a more up to date brand? I'm a diesel newby.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More up to date brand than what? You must give us information, not make us ask. This is a forum and you must participate to gain anything. Nobody here can read minds(except possibly Carnac).

A few minutes of research on your part is expected as well.

RDUK, Jbayer, any input here?

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
I have said it a 100 times. Change your glow plugs out every other year. I just get the auto lite brand. I can get them at any auto parts store as there about 7$.
I do remove the resistor on the fire wall and power the relay off the junction block. Less of a chance to melt down the card and plugs if a plug fails

joshuak

Hello SFC Deal, I'm also a diesel newbie. I however, was forced to change my glow plugs (or else my '09 would have stayed in library parking lot.) I was able to trouble shoot with the -34 manual. Knowing I needed to replace all 8, the CUCV wiki, found on this site, gave me two options for glow plugs (familiar with the wiki? )

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/content.php?2-CUCV-Wiki

I chose AC 60's with new terminals.

My $0.02 worth.

joshuak

I read what you say, but honestly I have learned way more from reminders such as: "if I can read I can read the manuals". The only way I knew a little about your questions is because somebody told me where to look, as opposed to giving me the answer. Plus I don't have to wait for answer!
I could be pointing you in the wrong direction with the AC 60, because maybe you have a weird setup. To avoid this members request more info.

Different strokes for different folks. Best wishes, good luck!

cucvrus

Dude I know what you mean. And as said before a lot of people are shred away from this site for the same crap all the time. You ask a legitimate question and get heavy flak in return. I know what you mean. I get flak because I keep my CUCV,s all running with the stock glow plugs ,electrical and fuel system. I am not having any problems doing it my way and many others that own the trucks in my area do not also. 20 years of minor issues. Keep asking you will always get 20 different answers and 30 different ways. Stay safe replace the stock parts as they fail same as any other vehicle and all will be well. Don't cut any wires or change anything they will last a long time. They already lasted30 + years. I never rebuilt an alternator or a starter in my life. When I buy a CUCV I remove all three items and replace them right away. I then drop off the take offs at the rebuilder and he rebuilds them. I start fresh with everything and seldom have any issues from that point on. I never wanted to learn anything about rebuilding these items. The rebuilder gives me 1 a year warranty on the rebuilds and I have had no problems. One less task I must involve myself in. More time to spend with the Grandchildren. And driving my CUCV. Not working on it. Makes me happier. Costs about the same. 30 years and mine is still running all of them. That is my opinion and I learned it and earned it. Keep it stock and it will serve you well. Change a thing and it's going to h---.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You asked a question but did not give us the info needed to answer it. That's pretty simple.

AC60G plugs work great. This is in the wiki and 100's of posts.

sandcobra164

I run AC60G's with great results. I would recommend removing the resistor from the firewall and powering the glowplug relay from the 12 Volt bus bar on the firewall. All you have to do is enlarge the hole on the ring terminal slightly and it's plug and play. It's covered on here, search is your friend. The Admin staff and some of the seasoned posters get tired of answering questions that can easily be answered with a simple search. Take the criticism with a grain of salt and you'll be fine. Raise too much cain and you'll get shot by the ban cannon. I've been here a few years for free but I know web hosting a forum is not free so I try to stay within the boundaries and mostly search and answer questions when I can.