• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plulgs cycle after engine is started?? Why

rdragoo

My glow plugs seem to cycle once or twice briefly during a cold start after the engine has already began running. Is this normal? What tells the glow plug controller that the engine is running and GP operation is no longer needed? thanks to the group.

rdragoo

That all makes sense. I guess I was worried that GP operation with the engine running would damage the glow plugs.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mine Cycle in both my 6.2 CUCV and my 6.5 Suburban with no ill effect, Mike hit this right on the head as the plugs are designed to withstand the extreme temps and pressures of combustion. If they stayed on without regulation that would be bad as they draw a lot of current and they would burn out.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was almost a "cosmetic" thing to help reduce the white smoke on start-up by warming the chambers up quicker. Civilian trucks do it too.