• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL's Responsibility to Verify Bidders?

Chief_919

I was talking about this with a buddy, he mentioned another possibility.

Say you plan to buy 5-10 trucks, but not till next month. You don't have the $$$ to pay now, but will then.

Register a bogus account, bid them up, default, and what you have essentially done is to delay the sale of those trucks 2-3 weeks, to a time that may be more to your advantage.

I could see flippers playing that game.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Government Liquidation picks and chooses who they want to enforce the default fee with. I know for a fact they have their golden boys (the ones with lots of $$$) and they are treated differently than you and I. Someone with that low of a bidder number knows the in's and out's of GL and they won't be paying a fee, you can bet on that. Who's to say this bidder doesn't work for GL or is running up auction prices in exchange for special favors? Unfortunately GL is a necessary evil we all deal with and know the pitfalls. The people at my local GL location are great, corporate is another story all together!!
Sorry for the rant but when I see something fishy going on at GL it gets my blood boiling.
:rant:
My number is lower than those and i assure GL will not cut you any slack for that. I tried to have a bid canceled after bidding on the wrong lot in my watch list. I contacted them within 1 minute of placing the bid. No way were they going to retract my bid. 2 days left in the auction. I was given the option of paying the default or paying for the item.

Ridgerunner

Call me crazy. But I think if a high bidder defaults on an auction, and he is a dead beat bidder. They should treat it like he never existed, and his bids don't count. The sale would go the true high bidder, without the default bidders run-up price. Top bid would be between the last two, true top bidders.

KsM715

They have done that before. What if you were the next highest bidder and when you got out bid you moved onto another lot and won that one. Then GL notifies you that you are now responsible for 2 trucks. Can you afford both?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Call me crazy. But I think if a high bidder defaults on an auction, and he is a dead beat bidder. They should treat it like he never existed, and his bids don't count. The sale would go the true high bidder, without the default bidders run-up price. Top bid would be between the last two, true top bidders.
I think what RG is saying is, if a RUN UP bidder defaults, take the bid BACK to the bid before the RUN UP began, as though the RUN UP never happened.

Chief_919

I think what RG is saying is, if a RUN UP bidder defaults, take the bid BACK to the bid before the RUN UP began, as though the RUN UP never happened.
Several problems with this.

First is that I could bid minimum on a lot I want with my real account, then bid 5x the value, no auto bid on a fake account. Nobody outbids the crazy price, fake account defaults, I get the lot for opening bid.

Too easy to scam.

The other problem is that if I bid on a truck and get outbid, I assume I am not buying that truck and apply my budget on other lots. If I win those lots then find out 5 days later I bought 5 more trucks I didn't budget for because I was outbid, I might not have the money for or want those trucks since I moved on and purchased others.

Ridgerunner

Several problems with this.

First is that I could bid minimum on a lot I want with my real account, then bid 5x the value, no auto bid on a fake account. Nobody outbids the crazy price, fake account defaults, I get the lot for opening bid.

Too easy to scam.

The other problem is that if I bid on a truck and get outbid, I assume I am not buying that truck and apply my budget on other lots. If I win those lots then find out 5 days later I bought 5 more trucks I didn't budget for because I was outbid, I might not have the money for or want those trucks since I moved on and purchased others.
Dang...there's always a catch :-(

But if you go Ridgerunner's route of thinking, it should be given to the loosing bidder at the price where the other bidder started this nonsense. That way the loosing bidder doesn' get screwed for the extra runup dollars.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
But if you go Ridgerunner's route of thinking, it should be given to the loosing bidder at the price where the other bidder started this nonsense. That way the loosing bidder doesn' get screwed for the extra runup dollars.
GIVEN the CHOICE to pick up the item or not,
BUT, on the other hand, I see where 919 if comming from.

KsM715

Giving the next higher bidder a choice if he wants it would be a good idea. But yes, there would be ways that people would game that system also.

Preacherboy

What I "wanted" when I got screwed with a jacked up m818 was for the lot number to be moved to the one I originally bid on and since there was 9 trucks I thought it might be possible for the site manager to do something like that...he wouldn't.

Of course, I didn't officially ask...I just hinted at it. If that would have happened I would have drove out of there that day with a m818 instead of dragging it home with my deuce.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What I "wanted" when I got screwed with a jacked up m818 was for the lot number to be moved to the one I originally bid on and since there was 9 trucks I thought it might be possible for the site manager to do something like that...he wouldn't.

Of course, I didn't officially ask...I just hinted at it. If that would have happened I would have drove out of there that day with a m818 instead of dragging it home with my deuce.
So if he moved the lot number to the truck YOU wanted, what about the guy that bid on that truck and won ????

DicedDeuceMan

I do work for a world wide auction. They have allways prided themselve on a no buy back status. They do blacklist people. Going to internet , has made a challange, they still can catch shillers, just a little harder.

I remember in the past, online hackers were running the bids up on Ebay or somewhere else. Does anybody rememeber reading that too? And believe me, I would be the last person to defend GL............. My sig line says it all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks