• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GM 10.5 14bff 4.56 gears - rust on ring gear - standard or thick gears as replacement?

McLovin

Hey guys,

I bought a GM 10.5 14bff with a detroit locker in it and 4.56 gears, which was in a M1008, for my M1009.

Disassambled it and saw rust on one of the teeth :(

I want to rebuiuld it, so it doesnt make sense, to run it with rusted gears, so I need to order new gear set (want to stay with 4.56).

Which gears are the right one for this axles, standard or thick ones?

Thank you

Attachments

cucvrus

OK. I seen the rust on the gears. Clean that rust off and add new oil and run them gears. These are heavy duty gears in these trucks. If you feel the need to change anything have the bearings changed and polish the gears. The rust you are showing is nothing in comparison to some of the gears I have seen over the years. If they are chipped and broken different story. But they will run as long as the truck is running even under extreme use. Spend the money getting the axle housing cleaned up and painted. New oil after polishing and you will be golden. Good Luck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks