• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gm 6.2 diesel manual transmission

bubba_got_you

gm 6.2 diesel manual transmission
I am thinking about putting one of these in my m37 and would want a manual transmission for it but don’t know what will work. What all is out there?

Westech

CPL
Im sure there is. I dont have a part by part list but with the right clutch and bell housing it should work. get a chevy bell housing and you should be in the ball park for a bolt up.

dependable

Don't bother with 6.2 for m-37. It has bad low rpm torque and worlks better with automatic. I would suggest a staight 6 like a cummins out of a dodge, that with a five speed manual overdrive, from same mid 90's dodge would be better choice. My opinion.

bubba_got_you

dependable said:
Don't bother with 6.2 for m-37. It has bad low rpm torque and worlks better with automatic. I would suggest a staight 6 like a cummins out of a dodge, that with a five speed manual overdrive, from same mid 90's dodge would be better choice. My opinion.
I don’t have the cash for a Cummins right now and need my truck so the 6.2 will work for a few years and also the m37 was built with a motor that had even less torque, HP and RPM's so I think it will work for now but in a few years I want to go to a 4bt.

dependable

Be sure that your 6.2, crankshaft has been board out to recieve clutch pilot bearing. Chevy often did not bother to do this on engine runs that were mostly for automatic trannys

I bought a new 1982 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6.2 and a 4 speed standard I don't remember what gears it had maybe 410 it pulled good and I put lots of miles on it .

Capt.Marion

Saw an M37 with Dana 60s and a Cummins 6BTA (I'm pretty sure, apparently a rare engine used in boxtrucks, like UPS trucks)... didn't seem to have any trouble stuffing it in there.

Tanner

Bubba -

I'm doing the 6.2 into M37 swap, using a GM C60 bellhousing with adaptor plate, & adding a Spicer 3053A trans - overdrive 5th.

Being the Internet, you won't find loads of info on this adaptation, and some info you do find, usually opinions, are occasionally based on near truths...

Since I'm mid-stream on this swap, I'd say that I have developed a pretty good source of info available - I've done the research, know the 6.x engine weaknesses (no, it IS NOT and WILL NEVER BE as good of an engine as a ____________ (fill in the blank with your manufacturer-biased diesel of choice), but a decent 6.2 engine should provide you with a practical, less-expensive diesel option for your M37.

Let me know how I may be of assistance.

"Tanner"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks