• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gmc 302 updates?

Bigal700

Hi i got a m211 with a gmc 302 inline 6cyl id like to rebuild and update and convert from military parts to private or in other words a normal truck engine and convert tranny to ATF i just want to leave truck original or go all out if i change motor

Section8

Not sure if what you asking/stating, is that you are looking to do a full drive train swap or trying to convert your rig to civilian parts and keep it stock.
The 302 is pretty much a stock engine for the era it was built, with the exception of. Water proofing. Lots of old hot rodders out there using the same motor. If you are wanting more power out of it then there are things you can do to the engine for that. Larger carb jets, port and polish, advance timing a little, bore the cylinders, yadda yadda.
Tranny options are zilch! You are stuck with the stock tranny for that application. You can most certianly drain and flush the tranny and use modern ATF, most guys go synthetic. Problems arise with doing this is the newer tranny oils tend to be thinner and thus leak out of the tranny. If you don't mind your truck marking its territory and having to top off the fluid more than usual fly at it.
If you are looking for a more modern drive train alltogether then a drive train swap is in order. I suggest reading Gunfreaks threads, very informative and detailed. He really knows his stuff!
Another person to talk with is Tom at Alpha Heaven, he has done just about every swap you could think of to these trucks.
My two cents take it or leave it.

Bigal700

Ya i want to build motor i geuss if i did a swap i want to go with a caterpillar 3208 im a big caterpillar guy i read a bit of the one swap for a 6.2 engine id just want to make my stock motor better first and iv tryed looking around for info on engine parts can't seem to find much

firedude

Not sure if what you asking/stating, is that you are looking to do a full drive train swap or trying to convert your rig to civilian parts and keep it stock.
The 302 is pretty much a stock engine for the era it was built, with the exception of. Water proofing. Lots of old hot rodders out there using the same motor. If you are wanting more power out of it then there are things you can do to the engine for that. Larger carb jets, port and polish, advance timing a little, bore the cylinders, yadda yadda.
Tranny options are zilch! You are stuck with the stock tranny for that application. You can most certianly drain and flush the tranny and use modern ATF, most guys go synthetic. Problems arise with doing this is the newer tranny oils tend to be thinner and thus leak out of the tranny. If you don't mind your truck marking its territory and having to top off the fluid more than usual fly at it.
If you are looking for a more modern drive train alltogether then a drive train swap is in order. I suggest reading Gunfreaks threads, very informative and detailed. He really knows his stuff!
Another person to talk with is Tom at Alpha Heaven, he has done just about every swap you could think of to these trucks.
I was toying with the idea of swapping the 302 inline for a 305 V-6. They both came with a 4-speed hydromatic as factory equipment.

mcv1964

Thanks for the info!

I'm a long ways away from doing an engine swap but when I get the fram stretch and bus body on the back of my M135 I will want to be able to trvel down the highway with a converted bus/M135 RV.

I just worry about powering up hills, that and stopping it once it is going down the highway or hills at 60-65.

When I get to that point I will check those guys out.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks