• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GMC and Reo Carbs

Empty Pockets

I recently had a chance to purchase a New Old Stock carb for a M211. The carb was still smothered in cosmoline and sealed in the box. I was once told by a friend that a M211 carb was the same and would work on my OA331 Reo. I was wondering if there is any truth to this? What are the differences between the two? Does one flow better than the other. I know they are both manufactured by Holley and they are both two barrrel carbs.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The throttle lever arm is different for sure, possibly the jets are a different size too. Holley 885-FFG either way.

M215

I'm running a 885-FFG originally set for a M35 on our M215. NDT is correct, the linkage had to be reversed. Check the tag stamp on the carb M211 (G749) / M35 (G742). I was told the M35 carb has larger jets.

Gunfreak25

That is too cool, I wonder if there's any real performance gain you get when going from a G749 carb to a G742 carb? 1950's plug and play tuning man. :)

targhee trucks

I recently had a chance to purchase a New Old Stock carb for a M211. The carb was still smothered in cosmoline and sealed in the box. I was once told by a friend that a M211 carb was the same and would work on my OA331 Reo. I was wondering if there is any truth to this? What are the differences between the two? Does one flow better than the other. I know they are both manufactured by Holley and they are both two barrrel carbs.
Interesting. I found two Holley carbs in the shop the other day along with some other parts. I thought they were for the M220's I'm working on. But one of them had a tag on it that said "Rebuilt for REO". I'll have to take another look at it.

Empty Pockets

I purchased the carb sight unseen. It was advertised as a New Old Stock Reo M35 Holley carb. When I received the carb the numbers didn't match my other Reo carbs. All mine have R-602-1A on tag. The box on the GMC carb reads Holley Carburetor with governor 8/53 R-683-2a G749 74-11781. It is still a pretty cool though. If it's true about the jets being larger I should probably stick with the Reo carbs.

butch atkins

All the Holley 885-FFG models 602,602-1,683 have the same metering jets,the only difference is the throttle operating shaft levers,this info is per TM9-1826D ORDANANCE MAINTENANCE CARBURETORS and GOVERNORS (HOLLEY).didnt quote the page #s,but I did look this info up.IF anyone has questions about your 885-FFG will be glad to look them up in the correct tech manual,also haveTM9-1828A that covers all of the AC and CARTER electrical,mechanical fuel pumps.Good luck to all on your projects

135gmc

One thing to watch for is the Holley carbs were also used in an APC (M59, if my memory is right), and that some of these APC carbs show up as surplus from time to time (same carb, same number). If you put one of these carbs on your truck, be sure that the accelerator pump is set correctly - the APC's needed maximum stroke, but max stroke will cause your 135-211 to stumble at a stop sign. The accelerator pump should be reset to the center position on the adjustment

butch atkins

You are correct about GMC 302 motors used in the M59 APCs, and were also used in the M50 ONTOS 6 barreled 106mm recoiles rifle tracked carriers,and some of the early gas motored M35/44 and a few others.The TM for the carbs on a GMC says the acc.pump lever should be in the center hole of the pump operating lever.Good luck to all on your projects

butch atkins

OOPS what a dummy I am ,post isnt really clear, should be that the Holley carbs were used in other vehicles, with different motors ,not a GMC 302 motor.Just got back from Germany ,still suffering from jet lag