• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gmc cckw 353 2 1/2 ton cargo body

guido

Interested in knowing what the go is did anyone ever make or did these things have a indicators on them? And was there ever one of these made with a Diesel engine? I'm wanting to drop a diesel in the truck as it cheapens the rego and the indicators I'm not to sure on as the Road board that does our registration may ask me to put them on it. If you can help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

emr

silly question, what is a ...go, and what indicators are U meaning, like unit identification? And they were gassers for sure. I say that knowing the military may very well have tested diesels in some, and maybe some lend lease may very well of had a diesel in em, but to MY knowledge they were all gassers...

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers.

CCKWs have been powered by 228, 248, 256, 270 and 302 CID gassers in the U.S. military. This doesn't mean that other countries haven't put diesels in them - I would wager that many gassers have been replaced by diesels over the years. There were a lot of CCKWs produced.

emr

They have No go's , and only one tail light, sure u can wire em up for directionals and put another red rear light where the black out one is, that is the most popular thing to do , I kept my 352 all original for the years i drove her, and I LOVED her and still do, Thank You for the explaination, I appreciate that, I will use that term now because I think its cool, hope u do not mind. I had a sign made i hung on the tail gate when traveling, it said, " ANTIQUE VEHICLE ...first line...ONLY ONE TAIL LIGHT...second line...WATCH FOR HAND SIGNALS...third line, I thought it was polite to let those who do not understand such things a chance to be careful...as an antique registered vehicle it was allowed to stay original.in NJ and all states I belive but am guessing, But that is the states...hope this helps...the cckw's had 270's gmc motors very popular and easy to work on and get parts for, NAPA here has complete rebuild kits for the engines, I had a head gasket blow and the water poured out the exhast but it still ran fine, great motors...Many repower anything, it all depends on your ability or wallet, it is a great truck but the rest of the drive train and brakes are not ready for all that extra speed and power. She is built to handle what shes got, hope this helped, i spent about 35000 miles in her, but went to bigger M series trucks, That is one sweet truck U have...all the best..Randy

paulfarber

Vintage Wiring of Maine makes full CCKW harnesses and for an extra $150 they add in wires for dual tail light... they could easily add in wires for directionals.

But a new harness is over $900.. would be more with the extra wires.

Look at the European CCKWs they all seem to have turn signals.

guido

ok thanks guys gives me something to work on in the new year now. I'm in the process of getting a new tray made to the same spec. My brothers are boiler makers by trade which will help me. Found that there is one diesel and looking at dropping one in if i can get one.

Chris

emr

Look up Mil Spec restorations in the Military Vehicle mag, and ask for Bob Rubino, He is the owner, and i am sure there are other expertse out there, I feel Bob is the man who can answer Every question U will ever have on these trucks, and it will be correct, no guessing, it is worth looking Him up, He buys over by u also at times, and brings em back to the U.S. Like i mentioned above, these are not the most heavy duty trucks in the world, with a diesel u will be able to do more than the rest of the truck will ever do, But i can see the worthyness of it, and why not, it sure would be cool, guys have stuck diesels in so many trucks Bob will know others who have also, all the best...Oh ...my "guess " in tow tonnage is 5 tons, that is a guess on my part, I do not think the cckw's are rated like M series trucks, i do not belive they double load on dry road, and there fore most vehicles can tow as a rule of thumb from the old school 2 times what they can carry... as a safe rule that is, of course they can pull more...:wink:...randy

paulfarber

The CCKW is rated by the manufacturer for 5,000.

Now there is a catch. The Specifications of the CCKW are for OFF ROAD/Cross Country. The War Dept in 1944 increased the allowable payload on HARD SURFACED road to a max payload is 10,000.

You will also need to increase tire pressure 1 PSI for each 1,000lbs over 5,000.

I have posted the info on my CCKW web site:

tm9-801.com • View topic - A CCKW can hold 10,000... you knew that, right?

This overload rating also applies to M35s. Off Road/Cross Country the max payload is 5,000, but on hard surfaced roads 10,000 payload.

Depending on the condition of your truck you may not want to attempt 10,000. But I have seen it.. a 353 loaded to 10,000 at Army Cars USA in WI. Its scary looking, drives like crap, but it will hold it quite well.

As far as 'expert' CCKW owners beware... I have spent the last 4 years correcting them.... make sure that every bit of advice is documented, not an old wives tale, or simply made up.

captain-crank

The CCKW is rated by the manufacturer for 5,000.

Now there is a catch. The Specifications of the CCKW are for OFF ROAD/Cross Country. The War Dept in 1944 increased the allowable payload on HARD SURFACED road to a max payload is 10,000.

You will also need to increase tire pressure 1 PSI for each 1,000lbs over 5,000.

I have posted the info on my CCKW web site:

tm9-801.com • View topic - A CCKW can hold 10,000... you knew that, right?

This overload rating also applies to M35s. Off Road/Cross Country the max payload is 5,000, but on hard surfaced roads 10,000 payload.

Depending on the condition of your truck you may not want to attempt 10,000. But I have seen it.. a 353 loaded to 10,000 at Army Cars USA in WI. Its scary looking, drives like crap, but it will hold it quite well.

As far as 'expert' CCKW owners beware... I have spent the last 4 years correcting them.... make sure that every bit of advice is documented, not an old wives tale, or simply made up.

Farby,

You are OFF TOPIC, his question was for towed load.

And....

The cargo information you are incorrectly spewing refers to combat conditions, 65 years ago.

Under no circumstances should you ever try to haul 5 ton in a CCKW on a public highway.

And no, I'm not an expert. I'm just sensible.

I see you are now also an M series authority . Gonna start your own self serving web sight on that too?

paulfarber

Call Kevin Krunland in WI and ask him I saw it with my own eyes and posted the reference. The M35 is the same way... 2.5 tons is the spec for OFF ROAD, but can do 5 ton on an hard surfaced road.

Sorry if I have information that you may not know about.... but facts is facts.

And this is the CCKW forum.. where do you get M series expert?

As for off topic the question was asked:

"Just another one of those annoying question whats the max tonnage that one of these babies can pull? US tons?

Chris "

The amount a vehicle can pull to me means 'carry'. If you mean the literal towed load, then if you read the WDCs that I posted that is also covered.

If you have information to the contrary then please post. I find it laughable that you are questioning an official War Dept Circular (two of them in fact) that clearly states they are rated for 5 tons on hard surfaced roads.

Would I put 5 tons in my cckw? No, it is not legal for a historical plated and insured vehicle to carry a load in PA. If it was would I? In flat as a pancake FL sure... in the Appalachian Mts of PA heck no.

Stop being a mother hen and admit that the loads I posted are correct Army specs for the CCKW.

Last edited:

SasquatchSanta

Earth Calling paulfarber ......

When the war department issued/approved the CCKW for 10,000 pounds on hard surfaced roads the national speed limit was 45 MPH!

I hate to tell you this sir but it's not always what a person says but how they say it and and the "Pimp Slap" attitude that you conveyed on the forum that you supplied the link to will wear real thin real quick here --- you're already starting to annoy the **** out of me and I don't even own a CCKW.

Last edited:

emr

I am with SasquatchSanta on this as i am alot. If I pull something i am towing it for one, no need to get in a dither over such a silly thing, I am no expert, But i do know a few, And mr Krunlund, is one for sure, But I would not throw His name around just because U saw an over loaded truck on His land, U may have or may not have more miles in a cckw than me, i sure hope u do, But in No way is that truck anywhere near what an M35 can carry and is just plain dangerous to double the 2.5 off road load rating, like i said earlier, it is my guess and understanding that it may very well be the cckw's were not manufactured with this double hard road rating, u have not shown any facts for this other than your opinion...You really just need to show the publications that show this to be true, i have the understanding that this was an m series trait , i may be corrected and would sure like to be, but we will need more facts, i am stating an opinion from practical experience, i am not saying I have documented proof because i do not, And i thnk u may not either, if u do please i am always interested in learnig more about these awesome, trucks, in fact i bet i have it somewhere, i will start looking...Oh an article will not cut it for me.....Hey TM its like u and me with tires...LOL...all in fun ...Randy...oh and in a truck this old it is important to show what the manufacturer set load ratings were in design compared to what the Military said could be done years later in theater conditions, that could very well lead some one to disaster on the road way in todays climate, i think on this site we just want all the info we can get...Randy out again...

Last edited:

tm america

i'm with emr and ss on this better than you attitudes dont help anyone .hard facts and pics,tm, spec sheets and overall common sence reasoning go a long way. i dont remember seeing a list of people that are the know it all of the mv world so .please back up statements with facts .especially when things sound a little far fetched.just saying you know more than someone shows nothing and helps noone.we are all here to help eachother and maybe learn some new things along the way

emr

ya but i didnt come at you like that i just wanted you to play follow the leader which is fun for everyone :-D

U got a super sweet and better set up,I would love to have your rubber i would trade my 1100 michelins in a heart beat................................................:-D.. But ...i just love NDTs...:-D thanks for the nice reply...:wink:

Last edited:

tm america

i want some ndts to as long as they come with some new green:roll:maybe a gama goat or mule or........ oh sorry now i'm making wishes for next christmas:-Di thought the cckw was a much smaller truck than the m35 or m211 and had lower ratings . since they had less gear ratio and only had half the power and torque of the m35. i find it hard to picture a cckw hauling the same weight or towing the same weight as a m35

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks