• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gmc cckw 353 2 1/2 ton cargo body

paulfarber

All in all the CCKW and M35/M135/M211 are very similar trucks. The size, load and speeds are all withing a few % of each other. A CCKW can definitely go faster than 45MPH and haul more than 5,000lbs.

The technology on the CCKW is no more 'ancient' or outdated that that used on an M35. Leather seals are great at the job they do.. ditto for the felt used. They do not last as long, but every part on a truck has a set lifetime. I don't see the maintenance needs of a CCKW being much more than of any other 2.5 Ton truck in military service.

Compared to commercial vehicles they are very time intensive, but commercial vehicles don't lead the same life as a military one.

If anyone has anything to contradict what I have said, I would be interested in reading it.

And if you read through the previous posts I was not the one who cast the first insult.. in fact I have yet to cast a disparaging remark. If the posting of facts makes you sad, then have some kleenex ready... you will need them.

emr

I have a few thoughts, since i have driven a 352 for quit a few years and about 30,000 miles in all weather and mud and snow conditions and also the m 35, And i have the experience to talk about side by side driving in a week of 25inchs of snow also, The trucks are not as nearly the same as u say, not by a long shot, There is an MTA guy who always says, gee i thought the cckws were as tough as an M35, no way no how, not even close in actuall load carring abilitys, It really only takes a look to see this, But i have the experience in both to say they are not the same truck, U mention they can carry more than 5000 #s. that sure is true, but they are quickly over loaded after thet, An M35 is an extremly hard truck to over load in its class, in fact it is amazing to me they are rated in the same class they are so totaly different trucks and extremly different abilitys, As running thru snow drifts and the storm was reaching the 25 inch level, I always run tops off in this stuff ,...we started out in the cckw, i absolutly LOVE that truck, the truck is amazing for sure, i would never say anything bad against them they are awesome, But when we started to bog du to lack of ground clearence, then power , we went and grabbed an M 35, like going from Fred Flinstone s car to the George Jetzons space car, thru everything like it was warm butter, I have towbarred deuces for many miles breaking the thousand mile mark for sure, and a 5 ton behind my M35 for way more than a hundred, this is quit a test of a trucks ability, the M 35 was up to the task and then some, as for towbarring with the cckw, it was behind my M 35 many many times i am known for bring ing multi vehicles where i go, with one driver. me, But to the facts a cckw will sure tow another cckw, but if anyone were crazy enough to put an M 35 behind it they would then realize they are 2 TOTALY different trucks, And like i said, I need proof the Maufacture built them to be rated double for a highway load, But this can not be done because it was not done, and Like I said telling some one they can put 10,000 #s in a cckw because the Military said in theater it is ok, is dangerous and shows a lack of experience in my eyes, I speak from actuall performance here, not an article, Just an FYI, And your Kleenex remark is just who u are i guess, U do not see the rudness of it and thats fine with me I sure can take and and do not mind trading in it, ..Randy

Last edited:

paulfarber

I have no idea what you said after the first dozen words... PARAGRAPHS USE THEM :)

I never said that they are THE SAME, I said they are comparable. The diesel engine is a great asset... but not required to get the job done.

If your little snow story is what makes you think that the M35 is better, great. But CCKWs made the ALCAN highway, served in the mountains of Borneo, the monsoons of the tropics and the heat/sand of the desert. Everywhere you can put an M35 you can put a CCKW 60+ years in the past. Any truck can get stuck, in mud/snow/sand.. so what?

So what has an M35 done that a CCKW hasn't????

What is so dangerous about using a CCKW to its rated capacity? I have personally driven 7,000+ lbs to the dump (it was about 4 years ago when I remodeled my house... took out all the old plaster/lathing.. that stuff can soak up the water. It drove like a turd (this is in Gordon/Shenandoah.. and yes I did have historical plates on it) and there are several killer hills on the way. I did not break down, or kill any small children, nor bend the frame, nor have the lock rings pop off, the brakes didn't fail and the motor did't lose any parts. It was a huge non-event.

Last edited:

guido

I'm chasing the information from manuals not army logs or letters. I need the information for registration purposes. I'm registering my CCKW as an open registered truck. Tare and things like that i can get from my local weigh bridge, but total loads are useful but the big one is the towing or pintle capacity.

Chris

emr

My friend U are a card for sure. And alot of hot air. U have stated u know it all, basically you know it all and have facts, U have gone from facts to your little 7 ton story that was probably a dream U had one night. Sure i believe a cckw can haul 7 tons, but in no way were u safe on a road of today, in your mind I can certainly see U think U are. Horses could have and would have made the Alcan highway . I guess these are the facts you mention U have ...all in your mind, ...:roll:...
You ask what has an M35 done that a cckw has not, How about withstood the test of time in active service for 50 years and counting. Your Jimmy is a hobby truck, An M35 is a real truck. period...I think u should hook up your jimmy to an M 35 and give it the tug test, Im sure someone with a gasser would get a kick out of dragging U down town...I asked for facts from the self proclaimed expert and got a cute story, That says it all to me my friend.
The last time I heard of a guy who knew it all was just like U alot of hot air, U sure do like to read your cute comments I am sure, it say volumes about who u are...All the best...Randy

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, 1 ton = 2000 lbs last time I checked. emr and others, how did this turn into a CCKW vs G742 thread? Both are kick butt 6x6's. Paul is correct, CCKW's were authorized huge overloads on the Red Ball Express and other supply lines during WWII. After the war, here in the US, the surplus Jimmies formed the backbone of the US OTR trucking fleet until the majors could resume civi production. They would carry loads so great the trunnions would crack and wheel bearings would crystallize. After that, the Jimmies then moved into the woods and did the nasty off road work until the gas Reos started to get surplused in the 1960's.

The two trucks are just from different eras, but they both work HARD! A WWII vet swore to me once he carried a Stuart tank in a CCKW, that's 30,000 lbs (15 tons). I did not doubt him.

tm america

i'm still waiting for all this knowledge to be shown in the form of a tm or something of that matter .cuz what was told by one to be true means little when you get pulled over and towed for being over loaded with no way to prove your case..for someone who claims so much knowledge to not know they would have to come through with the documents to prove what they say to be true shows limited knowledge to me and opinions not facts.i have seen no printed documents to show what the hp-torque of the cckws were .what the weight ratings were and most importantly what the towed capacity was for these trucks since that is what the question in this thread was?
here's a paragraph for you so you dont get distracted patting yourself on the back.i am no expert on these trucks i would like to learn more but i want to see the hard facts not the opinions of a self proclaimed know it all .but i guess we are to know that what you say is truth by the 100 posts you have entered:roll:

paulfarber

Well, if you want to learn about the CCKW then ask questions. I do not know it all, I never said that I did. Maybe I am a quick learner, maybe I have more free time/money to research, maybe my OCD for CCKW trivia is more of a curse than a blessing but if you read the posts they are hard facts straight from TMs, WDCs, or GM pubs.

For the guy who needs registration info get it off the data plates.

The TM9-801 which lists model specs is a free PDF download from:

www.tm9-801.com TM9-801 Truck 2 1/2 TON 6x6 GMC CCKW-352 & 353

Its the exact same pdf that sells on e-bay.

Its the last TM9 for the CCKW and should have everything you need unless you have a shop van THen you will need the ST-5/6 TMs and I know a source for them also.

For the CCKW owners... this week I am breaking down a rear bogey for parts. If you have any tips for getting the torque rods off let me know..I don't have the special tool but may have to make one unless there is another way.

swordmd

The true work horses of the ALCAN highway the 1 1/2 ton chevy and the Stude US6 . The M35 M211/135 have air for trailer brakes the CCKW does not, Very important if you tow. Read your tm's always keep one in your truck. You need not atack someone for not having alot of posts.

tm america

only for claiming they have more knowledge then someone else without being able to show anything on paper that backs up what they say.good point about the air for trailer brakes. and also to point out the m35a2 can run on pretty much anything that is flamable .which is something that i would like to see you try with a cckw.i dont know how a quick learner or someone that can read would have missed those facts as to things the m35 can do that the cckw cant :roll:

paulfarber

The M35 has a multifuel engine.. so what, it has the same cargo capacity as a CCKW. The type of fuel is obvious, as I stated the CCKW is a gas engine.

The M35 can tow much more (3x) than a CCKW, there were electric braked trailers and a controller for the CCKW.

A 352 was an artillery prime mover, not a lot of field guns had brakes (other than hand) and the most common trailer (the Ben Hur) was just under 4k loaded.... not a huge trailed load for an 11,000+ vehicle. The 353 was a cargo hauler used as THE cargo hauler.

Try not to make this about me... I know what I know and unless you have something that can remotely be considered proof, reference, or not made up then please share.

The CCKW and M35 are comparable tucks. Its a valid statement. You cannot directly compare a 60+ year old truck's technology to a 30+ year old truck's technology, of course they were different... but the mission and the capabilities were (are) the same.

Look at the dimensions, cargo, cab, driveline. What is the M35A2 doing that the CCKW is not? I will admit towed loads are much better, but thats only due to the diesels power. Heck even the gun mount is very similar.

emr

I just disagree, They did have the same mission for sure, but in no way are compatible in towing or hauling, I just wanted to joust a little because i thought U were, Surely only in fun . We all have opinions about our trucks, and I am an absolute cckw lover. I really do not think they were close when the M 35s were gassers either. That 270 is a pea shooter.The trans and drive train are so strong in an m 35 ... those axles look like my grandmas at 85...:-D...An M 35s is so over built is crazy, a cckw is over built for its day for sure, before a cckw horses were better than most trucks. They were the superior truck in the world, next to a International ....:-D

tm america

ya i'm done beating up on you to since you have back tracked what you said and are contradicting yourself .earlier you said they could pull 10000lbs .now you say the m35 can pull three times as much. the m35 was rated to pull 10000lbs on hard ground and 6000lbs cross country .i'm no expert on these trucks i think they are really cool older trucks and have a place in mv heaven.i also think misinformation can be deadly or costly. when you come out calling yourself an expert and making claims that are far fetched .that involves everyone that reads this post.if some person were to hook 10000lbs behind their cckw and have a bad accident .it would look bad for everyone driving a mv.the frames brakes engine trans and axles and trailer brake system on these trucks is built for way less load then the m35 which is rated for 10000lbs tow capacity.

i could pull a train with my m35 and it has been done but that doesnt mean i should tell people it's ok to do it on the street where there are families riding in their mini vans not having any idea what is coming at them.:roll:. i would go with what rating is in the tm and been safe and legal about it .also these are 60yr old trucks and you need to use caution towing with vehicles that are old .they were built for low speeds when there wasnt traffic and high speed limits like there are now.those truck are better compared to a 1 ton truck of today rather than a m35 :-Dhappy new year to all

paulfarber

ya i'm done beating up on you to since you have back tracked what you said and are contradicting yourself .earlier you said they could pull 10000lbs .now you say the m35 can pull three times as much. the m35 was rated to pull 10000lbs on hard ground and 6000lbs cross country .i'm no expert on these trucks i think they are really cool older trucks and have a place in mv heaven.i also think misinformation can be deadly or costly. when you come out calling yourself an expert and making claims that are far fetched .that involves everyone that reads this post.if some person were to hook 10000lbs behind their cckw and have a bad accident .it would look bad for everyone driving a mv.the frames brakes engine trans and axles and trailer brake system on these trucks is built for way less load then the m35 which is rated for 10000lbs tow capacity.

i could pull a train with my m35 and it has been done but that doesnt mean i should tell people it's ok to do it on the street where there are families riding in their mini vans not having any idea what is coming at them.:roll:. i would go with what rating is in the tm and been safe and legal about it .also these are 60yr old trucks and you need to use caution towing with vehicles that are old .they were built for low speeds when there wasnt traffic and high speed limits like there are now.those truck are better compared to a 1 ton truck of today rather than a m35 :-Dhappy new year to all
You have given up because you have nothing to contribute. I CLEARLY stated that I understood 'pull' to mean 'carry' and provided the clarification and the official documentation for it.

If you have to hang your hopes on such an innocuous misunderstanding then its obvious that you have nothing to contribute but weak attacks.

This was never about what YOU or I could, would or should do with a CCKW, it was about OFFICIAL PUBLISHED SPECS for the truck, which I provided a link, date, and circular number for.

You have not provided anything other than your opinion, which you are entitled to do... but that not in an TM or WDC.

If you are so enlightened, what IS the max towed load for a CCKW? What pub can I find it and what was the date? Was there ever an authorized 'overloading' for trailers? What limits were placed on CCKWs when towing a trailer?

Its your time to shine.... put up some knowledge and lets see if its right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks