• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gmc m-211-212-220

JackG

Hello all,
This is my first post so if I don't do it right please tell me. I am about to purchace an M- 211 from a guy in Maryland. This will be my first MV. It is in very good shape. But won't know whole story until I get it home to PA. The problem I am having is this truck was obtained from Fort Mead by a fire company in Accident Maryland in the late 60' early 70's as surplus, the truck was purchased about 10-12- years ago by a fireman. The truck never had a title, and the serial no. on the plate in cab is not like vin numbers today it only has the mfrs # letter Y followed by 3 numbers, also the order stock #, and the contract #. I need the information for a court order to retitle the truck in PA. Dose anyone know anything about titling in PA or were these trucks may have a vin #. Thanks Jack

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. The truck's stamped serial number found on the data plate and frame is what is used as the VIN. Some states require the use of a motor number as a VIN, which is stamped on a data plate on the block and bell housing. It will read 302-XXXXX. The fire dept that sold this to the fireman was really supposed to turn this truck back in to the federal government for dispostion. That is why there is no title. There are several threads here on SS about title services that people have had good luck with. Enjoy your new truck, they are a lot of fun once you work out all the age related maintenance issues.

JackG

Thanks from JackG

Thank you so much. I may have to take another trip to Maryland to get more info. The numbers on the plate mounted on the passenger side in the cab are the order stock # G2719-8358600. Could this the number that you are talking about? Thanks for your help. Jack

Atomic

Welcome to the site. Just checking, but do you have to have a title in PA for a vehicle that old? Some states (GA included) have laws written that you do not need a title if the vehicle is over a certain age. Just register it with the DMV and you are driving.

Again welcome to the site and as NDT said use the search function and try multiple variations of what you are looking for.

:beer:

JackG

Thank you I willl try that. I don't think that PA is one of those easy states. But I am just going by the web site info. Thanks again

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The data plate in the cab that is all the way to the right on the dash with "GMC" in stylized letters will have the stamped serial number. The number you mentioned is the contract number and not the VIN/serial number.

Oldfart

The serial number is the V.I.N. number. That would be the number with the "Y" which means it was manufactured in 1955. My own M220 is a Y truck. The number on the data plate should match the number stamped on the right front frame a little forward of the axle. I had to sand off quite a bit of paint to find there were numbers there. The number on the frame should start 211 Y ???. Most likely the frame matches the data plate except the model number (211) won't be part of the serial (V.I.N.) number on the data plate.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks