• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GMC m135 rebuild

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone just advised they removed the outer wheel bearing and that allowed them to wiggle the hub/drum around to unstick the shoes.

DUUANE

What i do is back off the adjuster cams bolts a third of a turn. Then "light" tapping with a 4 lb sledge with the wheel off and tiger torch heating the drum. I also have a 4' pipe wrench that i lock onto the hub with a 5 foot cheater. The combination of heat, rapping vibration and torque from one of the larger boys just leaning their weight on the pipe usually breaks them loose. Once it starts to move, work it back and forth till you get a full rotation. If its been submerged you may have to loosen and back out the major adjustment bolts. Water gets behind the lining and between the lining and drum and rust jacks it all together. You need to take the compression off by messing with whatever you can adjust before you go at it. Way easier on you and less chance of damage.

**WATCH OUT FOR ASBESTOS** the rusty dusty crap that youll pound out of the drum is 100% early grave. Wear a respirator and have a garden hose and wet everything down.
Safety first.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your first post and you have my favorite early, early Deuce....a 1951? Welcome aboard and I hope you can share some pictures. USMC-008 has an early serial number but we're always looking for the "Earliest", early deuce. Would you mind sharing the last digits of the stamped number? It should read 113500001.

We hooked a strap to the last hub we pulled because we were fighting with it. We threatened it with a light strap and a trailer first and didn't need the big guns.

2015 133.jpg

A few times I gave up but the kids these days and their fancy manuals and tools showed me how it's done. Look at him pointing to the page instead of holding the gun properly.

2015 119.jpg

After a while we just beat it until it comes off. Welcome to the battle.

USMC 00-08

Welcome to the site! Looks like you aren't too far away from me. I bought the truck in my avatar in Wichita and drove it the 170+ miles home. That was a fun trip.

Are you trying to get the hub off or are you trying to get the wheel to turn because the brakes are locked? If you are trying to get the wheel to just turn, you can back the brakes off by turning the adjustments on the back by turning them toward the rear of the truck.

When you get the time, definitely let us know what number your truck is and the registration number on the hood if it's still there. It's neat to see who has what. I have all mine listed in my signature and some links to videos of two of the trucks. #5314 is the one that came from Wichita.

USMC 00-08

Your VIN should be the number stamped on your data plate as NDT said. It is also stamped on the frame by the passenger side front wheel in front of the shock absorber. Hopefully it matches the plate in the cab.

20200427_100256.jpg

20200427_100203.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for getting that pic up USMC. I wasn't sure you kids down south had the same punch marks down there and you don't. I'll get pics up but we're 9 digits starting with 1135XXXXX

You boys stamped M135 right in the frame then added the digits behind .....XXXXX

Sooooo.....when you register what do you use for a complete vin number? M135XXXXX?

If I did this the correct AHAB way there should be a red box around the stamp area. I blowed up your number and it's almost certainly for sure maybe 3863...on 12/51 delivery. It's a good looking Christmas truck.

stamp.jpg

I've dragged a bunch of them around the farm and all the wheels seem to roll .......eventually.

Tanker1949

Welcome to the site! Looks like you aren't too far away from me. I bought the truck in my avatar in Wichita and drove it the 170+ miles home. That was a fun trip.

Are you trying to get the hub off or are you trying to get the wheel to turn because the brakes are locked? If you are trying to get the wheel to just turn, you can back the brakes off by turning the adjustments on the back by turning them toward the rear of the truck.

When you get the time, definitely let us know what number your truck is and the registration number on the hood if it's still there. It's neat to see who has what. I have all mine listed in my signature and some links to videos of two of the trucks. #5314 is the one that came from Wichita.

The brake is locked up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks