• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GO & GAA lubricants (they're back again!)

JDToumanian

Hi Group,
I've been lurking for quite a while, and recently bought a 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2. I bought one that had not run in a very long time, but I had no trouble getting it up and running (blown fuel pump fuse, clogged fuel filters, and air in the lines) and now it runs great. Blind, ignorant beginner's luck! The clutch is rather worn but everything else seems to be in good condition.

This is my first post. I've read all archived posts regarding GO gear lube and GAA grease, but I still was (am?) unsure of what to use... There's a lot of different opinions, and I want to use the best possible products on my truck.

Lubricant technology has changed a lot in recent years, and I believe that in some ways MIL-spec lubricants are a compromise due to the military's desire to use the same lubricant for many applications on a number of different vehicles (for example, using "GO" for transmissions, differentials, PTOs, transfer cases, steering gears and who knows what else on other vehicles). So I thought I would share my findings and invite opinions from other members.

GO (MIL-L-2105): I wanted to find a gear oil that met or exceeded the standards of MIL-L-2105. This part was easy... any GL-4, GL-5, or MT-1 oil of the appropriate weight meeting SAE J 2360 (formerly MIL-PRF-2105E) will exceed the requirements of MIL-L-2105. These new oils are better. I plan to use Chevron DELO ESI 85w-90 in the three differentials.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/nafl/trucking/content/prodspecs.shtm

You can click on "Data Sheets" to read the specs for DELO ESI Gear Lubricant.

But DELO ESI is not a good choice for manual synchrnized transmissions... It is too slippery... too good at what it does. A good choice for differentials but not good for synchros that NEED some friction to work properly. Also, as has been pointed out, some GL-5 oils can attack copper alloys... clearly not an oil for use with brass synchros or bronze bushings. What for transmissions then? I know a lot of members are using GL-1 from WalMart. I considered this, but it bothers me that it does not meet the MIL-spec, and the API says that "although occasionally still used, GL-1 is an obsolete" standard and should "only be used where the product specifically requires an oil conforming to GL-1" specifications. Although I think it would be fine, I could not find data showing that it met MIL-L-2105. GL-1 is old-time stuff! For the transmission, I think I've found something better, Redline Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid MT 90, a 75w-90 GL-4 oil specifically formulated for manual transmissions with synchros.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=74&prodID=57&subcatID=18
http://www.redlineoil.com/pdf/6.pdf

As for GAA grease, MIL-G-10924, that stuff isnt east to find. Spruce Mt. Surplus has 6.5 lb. cans, but the only other supplier was selling 35 lb. buckets. None of your average auto parts store greases, that I'm aware of, meet the spec. As pointed out in prior posts, this stuff is just old-fashioned long-fiber yellow grease. Surely there is something better? I wanted to use Mobil 1 Synthetic (red) grease, or Chevron DELO bearing grease (blue) but a member pointed out that there may be incompatibity with gear oils with these modern greases, and since there is a pretty good chance that axle seals will leak some oil into the wheel bearings (does anyone's Deuce axles NOT leak?!?)... I should use genuine surplus GAA for bearings but can safely use Mobil 1 grease for all the zerk fittings?

Sorry to make this long winded and to bring up oils and greases again, but I felt there is still a lot of confusion on this issue. I welcome all opinions.

Regards,
Jon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All great info Jon. While I'm certain that the current lube technology is far superior to the old technology, these trucks have been around for decades. My wrecker is 53 years old. If that old fashioned GL-1 worked all those years I just don't see a need to change to something else. I'm lucky in the grease area, I still have 3 35# buckets of GAA. While I've been lazy before and just tossed a tube of anything in the grease gun, I'm now reconsidering and I'm going to start packing my gun with GAA. No doubt there will be a lot of different opinions, this is how I'm lubing my fleet. Another thing not mentioned was OE. I'm using Rotella T in SAE30. Welcome to the world of posting.

red devils dude

maccus said:
Shell make a GL 1 gear grease for your tranny..........it is called Dentax and all Dentax is GL 1...........it comes in 80-90w, 140 and another somewhere in the range of 230 or so I don't remember the exact weight...........you can get it in 5 gallon pails.......very good stuff.........most distributors do not carry it in stock but they order it for me all the time.........
:ditto:
and some time ago I started a thread on gear oils try searching for it.
p.s. JDToumanian love the avatar

JDToumanian

Shell Dentax

Thanks for the replies... But you're not using Dentax GL-1 in your differentials are you? I would want an EP type gear oil for that...

As for OE, I'm also using heavy-duty 30w, Chevron DELO 400, which is basically the same as Rotella.

For grease, I suppose I could just use GAA for everything, but for suspension and drive shaft zerk fittings, I don't like how GAA dries out... the underside of my truck is caked with globs of dried yellow GAA everywhere and a lot of the zerk fittings need to be replaced (or removed and cleaned out) because they're clogged. Modern chassis grease, especially synthetic, will last eons before drying up like that... Maybe with better/more frequent servicing, the drying out could be prevented. Right now, though, my truck could use a good steam cleaning!

Jon

JDToumanian

BNSF or UP?
BNSF!

Nice to see so many people with Deuces here in So.Cal., I'm looking forward to going to MV shows or meets so I can meet other owners and look at others' trucks...

Right now, mine is in "as found" condition, fresh from the GL auction, although I bought it from Mark Blair (of "Mark's Green Pages"), he did nothing to it before selling it to me. Fair tires, nice new soft top, shabby interior, but I've got all new data plates, gauges, cables and switches... so a restoration is in the works!

Regards,
Jon

Trango

I use a Caterpillar product in my Spicer 6855 - syncro safe, and essentially an upgraded "mineral oil".

It's called C40 or something like that. It was $50 for the 5 gallon bucket, and it was in stock at a local fleet oil place.

If anyone wants to know, PM me and I can take a look tonight. I don't know what you guys are paying, but it was pretty cheap compared to other solutions.

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks