• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Go hard or go home also applies to breaking stuff... Grenaded my front wheel bearings

welldigger

If I was in your place I'd try to cut the bearing race in one spot (the one stuck on the spindle). Once you have cut a groove through as much of it as you can then stick a chisle in the cut area to break/spread it to get it off. Obviously there isnt room to get any cuttoff wheel in there but (again if it was me) I'd buy a few packs of small diameter dremel grinding bits (coarse aluminum oxide ones for metal) and try grinding a notch through 1 part of that stuck spindle bearing race. I'm sure this would work, but you may go through a few packs of bits. Mcmaster.com usually sells quality stuff and a pack of 5 bits with 1/8" diameter grinding tips is about $4, so even if you go through 20 bits, you still only have $20 bucks into it.
You might want to make sure you get half decent grinding bits if you go this route, the ones from the Home improvment stores wont hold up as well as the quality ones.
I can't even begin to imagine the nightmare of trying to cut through a hardened bearing race with a dremel tool. Your either gonna have to yank it off with a puller or cut the bearing with a plasma cutter or torch.

peashooter

Just trying to help. Not all of us have a plasma cutter or torch, and even if we did they may ruin a salvageable spindle. I cut hardened Thompson rod all the time with abrasive saws. A small aluminum oxide grinding bit is the same thing just in a smaller package. I've also put plenty of flats onto hardened shafts with a dremel / die grinder for set screws to land. It will work since there isn't clearance for anything else, it will just take longer (I'd guess 10-15min max)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can't even begin to imagine the nightmare of trying to cut through a hardened bearing race with a dremel tool. Your either gonna have to yank it off with a puller or cut the bearing with a plasma cutter or torch.
Bearing races are nothing to a abrasive cut off wheel.

poppop

I have used this little trick several times. Weld a bead all the way around the bearing race and as soon as you are finished throw cold water on it. This s-----, Dam I can't spell it, but it causes the race it get smaller in size and most times can be removed with your fingers. I worked on a peanut peanut picker one time several hours, gave up and carried it to a local machine shop. He handed me the race in 5 minutes and never swing a hammer. He explained the bill was for what he knew, not the amount of time it took him to do it.

stampy

My suggestion is weld a couple of pieces of bar stock to the race and build a slide hammer. Poppops idea is good too hot and cold tend to do wonders heat with a torch then ice the race should pop right out

CanonNinja

well, looks like the buyer welched on the truck, gotta relist it for sale. Guess I should mention CTIS will now be disabled on the front axle =/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks