• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Go LOW and you can't go back!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In my “Scout days” I had been in many situations where I could make no further progress up hill or down hill. Using the ‘gear that got me there,’ in reverse, was the only way out….backtrack.

Maybe I found a solution that does not have a problem for 923A2’s IF DRIVEN WITH A HIGH DEGREE OF SANITY?

I will say this: The TM sure as **** “TROOP PROOFED” ME!

The 800 series TC has some appeal for me for one of my trucks. It will be primarily off road. The other truck will probably be used to haul stuff from civilization to my mountain top hideaway; the OD could save a few $$$.
Funny thing is, you realize the front axle doesn't work in a M809 series truck until the rear axles are spinning 7% faster? Typically it's right at the point you really coulda used the front end pulling earlier. Also the sprag itself can be problematic. I like my M931's (SEMTT) t-case better than the sprag'ed trucks I've had in the past.

Just a heads up, there's no need to post "follow" "subscribed" or anything else to subscribe to a thread. Just click on the "Thread Tools" link in the top right of the first post in the thread and you'll see an option to subscribe to the thread. You'll get email updates about any new posts in the thread.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CAUTION Do not back up with transfer case shift lever in low range

That is what the TM says, no truck exclusions listed.

I posted my opinion based on experience, like a few other have.

JingoJohn

Exactly what I wanted has happened here:
1. The experienced guys spoke up on my ideas about a TC swap to address the caveats in the TM
2. My solution with brackes for a different TC did not find a problem. SAVES me a ton of work!
3. Once again an adage holds water: "If it aint broke...don't fix it"
4. "Troop Proofing" works and it hit me hard.
5. I will use my tried and true 4x4 methods on my 6x6.... drive with a high degree of sanity.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Anything CAN be broke, just depends how it is used, some of you know what power dividers are (they connect number 2 and 3 axle on a civi 3 axle truck) it has really thick gears, you would think they would be impossible to tear up, yet I have repaired quite a few, and EVERY time it was lead foot driver, another example, I can take a cat D9, put it in HARD rock, get 2,000/3,000 hr a year with just normal build up and maintenance, on the other hand I could take that same CAT, and slam-bang in the hard rock an be lucky to get 40 hours out of it before it is DOWN for the count.

So if you drive these with some common since (becoming a rather short supply), NOT peddle to the metal, not on the edge, not to the wall, not 110% of design, ect., it WILL last like any other piece of machinery and be fairly cheap to operate, if you don't you will need very deep pockets..