• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GOER on it's way to a new home!!

AMGeneral

Well folks the GOER is on it's way to it's new home in Columbus GA,Larry and crew left a few minutes ago with it on the trailer.I will say loading it was a lot easier than expected,we had a few rain showers but other wise all went well.Here's a few pictures,Enjoy!!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats or condolences Brandon, whichever apply. I see that they showed up with an M51, M51A1 or M51A2. I didn't see them leave with it. Care to explain? LOL

BillIdaho

What does it weigh in its present condition? It looked heavy on that trailer. Especially when it was listing towards the port side.
I have fallen in love, all over again!!!! I want one.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the museum going to restore it, get it running and completed? (you had mentioned that the wrecker hydraulic pump was needing a rebuild, and the rear winch was toast)

AMGeneral

To answer several questions,yes all the GOER series of vehicles were designed to swim.

Kenny,yes that was a M51A2 dump on the trailer,now it has taken the GOERs place in the collection.

It weighs in at around 38K lbs,I believe the museum is planning on getting it running and driveable.

P.S. Remember the 51A2 dump in the first pic? Already got that one running really well,dump works great,just gotta bleed the brakes,adjust the clutch and fix the lights and it's ready to go!!!

CGarbee

Great to hear that the new truck (the dump) is in such good working condition... I won't have to hide my M817 when you come to visit... :)

Also good to see the GOER headed to a new home, sad to see it leave your yard, but good to see it going to a place where a bunch of folks will be able to see her...

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
glad your not to upset at the leaving of a super good truck like the GOER but at least youve gotten a new play toy

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to see it go, Brandon, but perhaps it's just to overwehlming for one person to restore. Looks pretty complete.
Is the top vinyl, my 8x8 is from the same era and never had anything but vinyl? It should have kept the crew area from deteriorating in the sun. The air horns are positioned the same and the windshield supported in a similar fashion on the 757.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Just want to say thanks to Brandon for the GOER and all his help. Had he not had his wrecker handy, we would have to drag the GOER out into the street to load it. The terrain was soft and mushy and there was a spare engine on the driver's side contributing to the loading difficulties. Between us all we got her captured and in chains - then she submitted.
The museum group consists of 12 core retired members and some combat Veterans representing the 4 major services, Army, Airforce, Navy and Marines (we are still looking for a Coast Guard member). We do all that we do at personal expense.
Our goal is to honor our Veterans by showing the military machines and equipment these men and women used to protect our great country. Men like Brandon (AMG) who contribute to that cause are considered associate members and are "budds" for life!!
Check out www.ironmikemuseum.org we will try to have the GOER on the site next week - or when I can hammer the puter feller!