• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goer

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
AMGeneral, I saw in another post you have a 1972 Caterpillar M553 GOER wrecker(serial#W-1,first production M553). I'd love to see pics of your truck. Do you have any to post up? I don't want to make you go for a photo shoot, but I have only seen like 2 pics of them. Thanks in advance.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of them were built in the 1970s, and by the time they were being surplused out in the 1980s, the demil requirements for them had changed, so most got cut up for scrap metal, similar to what happened with most of the M151 Jeeps. Only a few hundred of them were made to begin with, so they are a rare bird.

I believe Brandon said that the winch and the hydraulic pump for the wrecker crane are very rare, and it would cost over $3,000 just to rebuild the hydraulic pump. He said he would restore it to drive and look nice, but the wrecker crane and winch would remain non-functional.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats just friggin nuts! So I saw the crane section doesn't work. Does the motor run to take it around the yard? Whats the pintle on the rear left step for?(pic 9)

CGarbee

The photo that I wish I had taken... My M37 parked between the GOER and one of the M123's where I left it while riding up to get the M817... I don't think that any of Brandon's neighbors ever knew that I had parked my little truck in his yard...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brandon,
I think that GOER came out of Ft. Jackson, SC. I say this because I can see the bumper #s on the passenger side rear...WVMS...Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School...part of TDC FJ...Tactical Doctrine Command, Ft. Jackson. My old M936A2 and my current M925A2 both came out of TDC, WVMS. No real significance to this...just thought you might like to know if you did not already.

Nice truck...

AMGeneral

Thanks for the info Bruce,I also noticed that my 816 and M35A2C also share the same markings(Not suprising since they both came from Ft Jackson)maybe I'll end up having a whole fleet from Jackson(if I don't have to sell em all in the near future).

AMGeneral

BTW Gimpy,the engine does run but i'm having some injection pump problems,and since Cat pumps are $$$$ to rebuild it's not a top priority right now.But i work on it when I get bored of working on some of the other "small" trucks in the yard :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks