• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

goin' big, need help!

deaddeuce

I have a '57 M45 gasser (I think it's the oa-331) that needs a new motor, thanks to me. Since I need a new motor, I thought it would be a good time for me to go diesel, and then I thought, why not go big diesel, and run singles on it. I want to put a 250 cummins in it and run the 14.00's on it, but I also saw a deuce that has 16.00's with a lift on it and extended tandem axle (hotroddeuce). Will I have a problem with the 250, what tranny would be best, should I re-gear, will I need to run longer lines, etc...etc...any advice will be mucho appreciated.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: goin

Welocome to the site just do a little serching in the 5 ton and up forum you will find a wealth of information on this question and find this to be one of the best places to spend you time on line at.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Have cubic dollars on hand.. You are trying to squeeze 50# of feed in a 5# sack. There are better choices.

deaddeuce

what are my better choices? My truck is a deuce that was a water tanker for the reserves, the plate on the dash says that it is an M45, and I have never seen another M "45".

BFR

Rocket Surgeon

take a look at the front sheet metal on an 800 series 5ton...the cummins motor will fit in that engine bay. now look at your deuce.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If I had a gasser M44 series truck, it's be a 465 multifuel so fast your head would spin. It fits right, you'll be able to diagnose, troubleshoot and order parts directly from the TM's, it's value will increase and parts are cheap.

It's either that or a 6.2 diesel Chevy and a 700R4!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Clinto, I prefer the Multifuel. Second to that would be the 5.9 B series Cummins. There are a couple of 3208 Cats out there too. If you want really good power in a reasonable package, get the 5.9.

Trango

clinto said:
If I had a gasser M44 series truck, it's be a 465 multifuel so fast your head would spin. It fits right, you'll be able to diagnose, troubleshoot and order parts directly from the TM's, it's value will increase and parts are cheap.

It's either that or a 6.2 diesel Chevy and a 700R4!
You had me until you mentioned the 6.2. :)

Bob

DMgunn

You'll notice, as I have, that these guys have a few inside jokes that are worth doing a search on to learn the origins. Especially the Blazer axle references.

deaddeuce

Rizzo, why would you go with the cummins? What would you guys expect to pay for either the cummins or the LDS-465?

rizzo

I edited that to the 5.9. they were in a lot of school busses that has them with the trans. 2-3k for the whole thing. just need 12v and fuel to run it. I would make a duel system like the cucv has. you can change out the turbo and or injectors to get good power increases. I plan on putting one in my M810 in the next couple years

rizzo

I would go with the 5.9 because you can build them up and they have lots of parts and aftermarket parts and reletivly cheap. plus they will fit under the hood with room to spare.

I don't know if there are better engines, but that is what I would do.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The only 12v part on the 5.9 you should have to swap is the shut down solenoid. You may be able to adapt the 24v one off of the 8.3 CTA in the 939A2 trucks or if you check with Cummins there may be a 24v application listed. You should be able to make the gauges work with a few adapters from the hardware store to intall the sending units or capillary tube.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks