• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goin to Ft. Sill -- first Deuce!

OKCMoparGuy

Started talking about the idea of buying a Deuce about 1-month ago with 2 good friends. Within 30 minutes we all caught the sickness and started looking on GL to make our individual purchases. We all had a pact. Have you ever seen The Contest episode of Seinfeld? Long story short "I'm Out"! We'll see how long they last once I get mine.

Just couldn't resist when I saw the Deuces come up at Ft. Sill Oklahoma. Since the base wouldn't allow inspections the hardest decision was which one to overbid on. Ended up getting 7203 which was a clean, hardtop winch truck that looks to have a heater. Don't know if it's running, don't even know if it's got an engine but I'm excited to start doing something other than reading.

Any other Ft. Sill winners want to convoy back to OKC? If mine's a runner I'd be happy to lend a hand to someone in need. My EUC was submitted today, my recovery checklist has been made and hopefully I'll get my first ride in September.

I want to thank Warthog, M813A1 and M1075 for all the advice and help they've offered. I can't say enough about the Oklahoma SS members. Now with any luck I won't need to ask for a tow back home.

Attachments

JAYHAWK 1962

Ft sill

Hello, I won # 7211. i talked to the guys at okc auctions and they said event 4600 were real nice looking trucks, so lets hope all is well. Mine is a hardtop with 12,439 miles and barring a ding on the tailgate looks great.

Last edited:

OKCMoparGuy

I almost bid against you after I thought mine went too high.....ended up at $2600.

Do I read correctly that you're a Jayhawk in the 505? I grew up just north of Lawrence and lived in Albuquerque for 3 years......thought I was the only KU fan. I don't have too many bad things to say about Albuquerque and we sure miss the green chile.

I got this recovery list somewhere on the site. I've added a few notes and misc items.

Attachments

JAYHAWK 1962

yes! born topeka graduated from ku lived in weatherford ok for a year and ended up here. it is green chilie season if you would like some i can mail/ups you some. ahhhhhh the aroma of roasting green chilies!!!!

dabtl

I will be at Ft. Sill this morning. I will look around and see of there are any trucks to see.

I am picking up a pallet of plastic water cans.

1qwkgoat

Congratualtions on the win. I'm waiting my EUC for mine, I wish I only had to go to fort sill to get mine. I'm by far no deuce expert, but if you need any help on the recovery let me know

Happyland1410

Congrats on the deuce win! I really wanted one of those too. I setup a GL account, scheduled a day off work for a preview, and then found out no previews on these. :cry: I bid on some anyway but I chickened out when the prices went up quickly. I hope you guys got some really good ones. When you recover them post how great they are and then I can kick myself. aua

Hopefully Ft. Sill will have more available soon. :mrgreen:

OKCMoparGuy

Jayhawk, thanks for the offer on the chile's but I'm going to Farmington in a couple weeks. My physical is scheduled for 2 days after I return. If they draw queso instead of blood I'll know it was a successful trip.

On the winch, any recommendation on cable size? A friend in the crane business offered up some slightly used 1" cable to solve the delima. Although I'm sure it won't break before exceeding the 10K limit I'm a little worried it'll only be 25' long and won't be flexible.

JAYHAWK 1962

enjoy the trip. i have never owned one with a winch, but........
i think the standard answer will be check out the manual copies it should state somewhere what the diameter of the cable and the length should be. if there is one at ft sill when you go to pick yours up you can cheat a little and look at one of the other trucks that has a winch. let me know about your truck when you get it.

M813A1

Congrat !! OkMoparguy , you won a nice looking truck !! I was there Aug. 9th to tow a truck back to OKC. for Warthog , he won a Duece in July !! We had looked at those trucks back and they are very clean and straight !! The cab looked good inside and the trucks have good rubber , My guess is it might be a runner !! Your truck might be one of the trucks with the troop seats set in the midle of the bed looking out at the firing ports !! For your winch you will need 200' of 1/2 " cable !! Kathy and Sheryl are good people to deal with down there !! Well now you have been bitten by the Green Bug !! You will have tons of fun !! Now you will be able to join in the OKC SS convoys !! We are looking to get together Saturday Sept 19 or 26 of this month for a Workday / Chow Run , and it will be at the StreebikeDepot in Tuttle OK. My avatar photo was taken at the last Workday in April at the StreetBikeDepot.

Last edited: