• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going To Buy My First Deuce

FrankOceanXray

I am shocked to not see a "new to Deuces" first time buying guide at this forum. I just have been reading everything, as I don't even know what to look for!

StoneMill

The PDF in that second post is worth the read. Make sure you get exactly what you want if this'll be your only deuce. Winch, hardtop, springer seat, air locker, etc... Give it a good test drive. It'll take it awhile to get heated up. Expect and plan for problems, towing, fuel, filters, no brakes, etc... (AAA is no help, ask me how I know)

But, i will say this is the most fun vehicle to drive that I've owned. Planning to have another before the year is up. Going to go the GL route this time. Glad I bought from a private seller first though.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am shocked to not see a "new to Deuces" first time buying guide at this forum. I just have been reading everything, as I don't even know what to look for!
I am looking to build a kind of "intro to deuces" thing for the site which includes the article gunboy provided you the link for. The issue is trying to find a way to implement it so that everyone finds it, even if they are brand new and don't know they should be looking for it.

For now, the best advice I can give a new guy is this: Go to the deuce forum, start at the oldest page and start reading, working your way forward......

By the time you are halfway done, you'll know so much that the first time you drop a deuce tranny on your head, you'll bleed green. :D

StoneMill

I know! I just became a member, and was thinking that. I'm not planning on buying one, but building one, but I can't seem to find anything on prices per part.
I basically rebuilt mine and knew zero about military vehicles a year ago. Never really took a vehicle down to the frame before. I'm a nurse not a mechanic.

Parts a plentiful. There are a bunch of suppliers on steelsoldiers and more on the web. I'd get a decent truck and start there. GL prices are obscenely low right now if you can deal with the EUC wait and be able to recover it yourself.

It would be the easiest vehicle I've worked on if things weren't 3x heavier than normal. Just have to have some lifting help or build an a frame. Unless your lucky enough to have machines to do the lifting.

Last edited:

Heavysteven

The idea of a "how to buy a deuce" would be nice. I just don't think it would make sense unless you have previously owned a deuce. Guys for now I would starting reading through old posts. I was given some helpful hints while previewing trucks at the gl lot.

Here are some examples
1. Look for dry wheels - no leaks
2. Condition of boots on steering axle
3. Tire condition
4. Starts run
5. Batteries look new? Are they secure in bat box
6. Rust - bottom of doors any through spots
7. Hardtop worth more
8. Heater worth more
9. Tarp troop seats worth more
10. Low miles 30k plus is high miles on gl
11. Brake hoses look new cracked?
12. If parts are missing this could indicate it's a parts truck

Etc....good hunting

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

I am also new to deuces so I don't have the experience to carry out this suggestion. My suggestion is, maybe an experienced deuce owner could write up a basic "buyer's guide" and put it up in the Wiki-deuce section. It would save alot of guys alot of time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks