• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to have to pull M1009 trans. Questions

Well, looks like there isn't much I can do about this transmission anymore. I've tried so hard to fix anything I could on it to stop the slipping/downshifting. I basically don't have 3rd gear. It'll go into it, but instantly loses it when I give it throttle. I have normal reverse though. I have a lead on a TH400 from another cucv that's in pretty good shape for a good deal so I guess swapping out the trans is all I can do.

So, how bad is a job like this for the driveway mechanic? Any help and advice would be appreciated, I want to make sure this job goes as smoothly as it can. Thanks so much.

Dock Rocker

There are lots of videos on YouTube. Watch as many as you can. Make sure that the torque converter is full of fluid and make sure that it is seated correctly against the pump before you install it.

It’s not really a hard job. It can just be very messy. If you have a transmission jack that will make life much easier if not fab a cradle from some wood that you can put on a floor jack to lift and lower the transmission from the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m38inmaine

I have done a few by myself, if you are working on dirt use a sheet of plywood, makes moving the jack easier. I always remove the transfer case first, not so much weight to juggle. Be sure to support the back of the engine as well. I'm sure others will chime in with some tips.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For as cheap as you can get a turbo 400 rebuilt I wouldn't go through the work to put a used transmission in.

Chaski

A huge transmission jack is worth it’s weight in gold. Harbor Frieght has a “2,000 pound” rated one. I have used it with great success, but I would never ever stick 2,000 pounds on it. A decent jack with tilt and rotate function makes pulling and replacing it with the transfer case attached a one person almost pleasurable job.

Ilikemtb999

A huge transmission jack is worth it’s weight in gold. Harbor Frieght has a “2,000 pound” rated one. I have used it with great success, but I would never ever stick 2,000 pounds on it. A decent jack with tilt and rotate function makes pulling and replacing it with the transfer case attached a one person almost pleasurable job.
Many years ago I wrestled a th400 out of my old Pontiac on a regular jack with some 2x4’s and plywood as a makeshift trans jack. I then spent hours attempting to put it back in with the same setup. I threw in the towel and bought a trans jack from harbor freight and got the trans bolted back in within a half hour. I’ve used that thing so many times now including pulling the trans and t-case out of my 09 and putting it back in. Completely worth the money and then some.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no transmission expert but the symptoms you describe sound more like a vacuum issue than a transmission problem. Have you exhausted your troubleshooting with the vacuum system already?

Ilikemtb999

Same one I have and have used a dozen times. Couple it with a decent impact and it’ll make quick work of removing and installing a trans. Held my th400/np208 just fine.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully rustystud will see this thread and jump in. He's our resident transmission repair expert!!! [thumbzup]

rodent

Same one I have and have used a dozen times. Couple it with a decent impact and it’ll make quick work of removing and installing a trans. Held my th400/np208 just fine.
I do the same with the impact EXCEPT going down. I found out the hard way NOT to put the impact in reverse. Came down so quick it put a minor dent in the trans pan.
20170513_192049.jpg20171109_201750.jpg

nyoffroad

I'm no tranny expert (take that however you want :) ) but it sounds like a vacuum problem NOT a slipping problem. If it was slipping you'd hear the engine rev up almost like you shifted into neutral. How's the fluid color level and smell? Is it full, check on a level surface with engine running and warm. The color should be a nice bright pink or close to it and without a brunt smell. I'd check or just go ahead and replace the vacuum line and make sure to check the steel line for rust holes or holes from vibration. I'd also check out the modulator, if I remember correctly it's adjustable thru by removing the hose and using a small Allen wrench, don't remember anything else about it. Replacement would be the last thing I'd do, TH400's really are almost bullet proof it's rare that they go out and with my limited knowledge when they do it's usually first gear that goes.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no tranny expert (take that however you want :) ) but it sounds like a vacuum problem NOT a slipping problem. If it was slipping you'd hear the engine rev up almost like you shifted into neutral. How's the fluid color level and smell? Is it full, check on a level surface with engine running and warm. The color should be a nice bright pink or close to it and without a brunt smell. I'd check or just go ahead and replace the vacuum line and make sure to check the steel line for rust holes or holes from vibration. I'd also check out the modulator, if I remember correctly it's adjustable thru by removing the hose and using a small Allen wrench, don't remember anything else about it. Replacement would be the last thing I'd do, TH400's really are almost bullet proof it's rare that they go out and with my limited knowledge when they do it's usually first gear that goes.
It looks like there have been problems with this transmission for a long time.

Mysterious Transmission Leak?
Started by RickTheEngineer, 06-03-2016 19:22

Transmission leak repair costs...
Started by RickTheEngineer, 08-24-2016 09:04

NV4500 swaps and clutch pedal specific questions
Started by RickTheEngineer, 08-25-2017 10:40

4L80E swap shifter column question
Started by RickTheEngineer, 06-22-2017 08:41

TH400 to 4L80E Swap for dummies, help needed (crossmembers)
Started by RickTheEngineer, 08-02-2017 10:16

Strange slipping or possibly downshifting issue on M1009
Started by RickTheEngineer, 01-23-2018 22:27

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks