• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to look at a 5 ton wrecker

FrankUSMC

I was talking to a friend today about a couple of wreckers coming up on the GL sells. He also buys some trucks, mainly 5 tons. He says he has two 5 ton wreckers in his lot, they both have muti fuel motors. He does not know what kind they are. The only thing he remembers is they have muti fuel motors, and one of them has a brand new motor in it.
What should I look at? or look for?
He said he would sell one to me for $5000, is this a good price?
Thanks.
One of the few, Frank
*trying to stay ahead of Garbee*

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Going to look at a 5 ton wreaker

5 grand for a running wrecker is a good deal even if it needs some sheetmetal work. Nothing like the steal Gimpy got though.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur...$5K is cheap for an operational wrecker. Heck, if it was a gasser, $5K is not a bad price. Make sure the turntable operates properly. I've seen trucks with cracked turntables. I've heard this is from lifting a heavy load from the side without the outriggers in place. I'd love to see some pics of the truck... Good luck!

M1075

Frank, if the truck is multifuel, it sounds like it could be a M543 or M246. The M246 tractor wrecker is a little more versatile than the M543 and is a lot more rare. The M246 is easy to distinguish because it will have a 5th wheel on the back and the M543 will have a winch on the back. Either one would be nice to own. An operational wrecker is very handy to have around if you have some other vehicles. 90% of the time, I use mine just to lift and move things around the yard. I have towed with it only 3 times.

FrankUSMC

RE: wrecker

Thanks for the replys! The truck must be the M543, I have seen the wreakers before, but just not paid any attention to them. I would have remembered seeing a 5th wheel, and so, they must be the M543.
I am thinking of going up on Monday and looking the trucks over.
Thanks again.
ummm.....maybe I should get both..make them into lamps, put them in the living room...
One of the few, Frank

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: wrecker

Mine weighs in at 33,325lbs according to the dash plate EMPTY! I don't know how the conversion from gas to multifuel affects that. You must have one heck of a living room. Don't know if you have a 5ton yet, I was really surprised at the size when I first saw it. Just Awesome, you'll love it.

CGarbee

Re: RE: wrecker

gimpyrobb said:
Don't know if you have a 5ton yet, I was really surprised at the size when I first saw it. Just Awesome, you'll love it.
I was impressed by how much room was left over in my yard when I got the tipper down the driveway (easier to navigate than with my duece, love that power steering)...

Purchase them both Frank, tell your bride that they are both mine, and when I pick up one, just tell her that I can't get the "other" one until I clean up my yard... :)

Seriously, the number of times that the TM for the dumptruck has the phrase "remove the bed" is pretty scary. I need a wrecker...

FrankUSMC

Garbee
I am thinking of going to my friends house on Monday and looking them over.
The down side, we let my father in law borrow our camera last night. I will try to get it back today beofre he breaks it or as he does with all his tools leaves it out in the rain.
Maybe he will give me a better deal on two of them.....
One of the few, Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks