• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to look at Deuce -HELP-

jcg5740

So I'm going to look a two Deuces and try to buy one.. Both are A2's one has a drop side bed. Both have heaters and air shift axles. I was told that both were driven in a run great. So my question is what should I look for or what questions should I ask the owner. Also both do have Missouri titles and I have confirmed that my insurance company will insure a deuce. By the way her are pics of the two deuces Thanks for any help.

Attachments

Carl_in_NH

The A2C (dropside) is the way to go if you've got cargo you'd like to load and unload from the side with a forklift. One of my trucks is an A2C for that reason - moving large things like machine tools. Being able to unload off the side with a forklift means you don't need a dock.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Without a winch 4K sounds a little high.....it depends on how many there are locally available.
The market is loaded with them but you have the advantage of inspecting and driving those two.
If you buy from GL you might get it cheaper but you are buying a pig in the poke.

Katch1

depends on how far it is for you to rescue a deuce from a gl site, we got 2 out of mccoy last year for $1500 ea. , but it was only 75 mi. away to inspect and drive back, both good runners, one is as nice a truck as I've sen on a gl site, some broken glass, but new rubber and a motor to die for, almost zero rust. To each his own, but if I had the time and patience I would try that route. Also depends on your mechanical ability, something goes wrong on the way home from far away, if you can't fix it yourself, your up a creek, roadside assitance is few and far between for these trucks, and expensive on the road. Not saying either one of these won't leave you, your choice do your homework, and give her, you can't win unless you enter.:grin:

chicklin

Yes, thats them. Do you know anything about them or the owner ?
I've talked to him on the phone. He's getting out of the MV business and, according to his craigslist ads, he was trying to have these all gone by the end of 2009. He might have even said he was losing his storage place out there by the interstate, but I can't remember. Either way, I'd bet he's ready to negotiate. He's also unloading a ton of other surplus stuff (manuals, boots, etc.).

He also appears to be somewhat crazy, or at least very determined to fight Missouri Farm Bureau for some claim they didn't pay. Check out his site: Home. The trucks and all the other stuff for sale is listed on there if you click on "For Sale" on the lower left.

Good luck. I've looked at the trucks. They're decent but not worth $4k. Like someone else said, that's just the asking price.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've talked to him on the phone. He's getting out of the MV business and, according to his craigslist ads, he was trying to have these all gone by the end of 2009. He might have even said he was losing his storage place out there by the interstate, but I can't remember. Either way, I'd bet he's ready to negotiate. He's also unloading a ton of other surplus stuff (manuals, boots, etc.).

He also appears to be somewhat crazy, or at least very determined to fight Missouri Farm Bureau for some claim they didn't pay. Check out his site: Home. The trucks and all the other stuff for sale is listed on there if you click on "For Sale" on the lower left.

Good luck. I've looked at the trucks. They're decent but not worth $4k. Like someone else said, that's just the asking price.
If that's him he's a member here. He's got a bunch of manuals in the classifieds for sale right now.

roscoe

All things equal, I'd go for the dropside. Appears to have a soft top also. Personal preferance on that - I like both soft and hard tops. Check if they have the C or D or no turbo. Again, personal preference but does affect resale. In my opinion, if the trucks been fully serviced and checked 4k is not that bad. Lots of factors to consider, but being a non-winch truck I would thind 2.5 to 3K is pretty average price. Take them for a drive, check brakes, leaks, oil pressure ect... then decide. Good Luck with it.

Green_gator

If you are leaning toward the hard top take a good look for rust. I pulled the hard top off of a truck out of Texas that looked fine from the outside. The top and bottom of the rear piece had serious amounts of rust that have taken time and some new steel to fix. Other things to look for are heat in the cab and electric wipers. I would think that heat is very desirable for your part of the country and I have to say that I like the electric wipers better.

tm america

4000 for a clean drop side isnt to bad. does it have heat?air shift front ? spring seat for the driver . if it has those and is rust free and only minimal leaks i would say go for it . but 4000 for a reg a2 is too much you can get them all day long from private owners for 2500 for a fairly clean truck:driver:.i bought mine a while ago .8 yrs . i gave 4600 for mine 23000miles and 750 hours. it is a drop side that was rebuilt by the gov in 92 and updated .the motor is lds spec and the guy threw in the pto to. i drove it home from mi. about 4 hr drive no problems

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks