• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to look at M1009, what to look for?

joshs74nova

Hello everyone,

In a few day's I'll be going to look at a 1984 M1009. Hopefully it will replace my '85 4'Runner if all goes well. What things imparticular should I be looking for out of the ordinary?

Thanks in advance,

-Josh

Garandfan

1. No leaks anywhere! Take it for a test drive, get it hot. When you park it, check under the bell housing to see if there are oil spots...If so you have a bad rear main. Not terribly hard to replace. Research about spider cracking in these motors.
2. Make sure all the electrics work properly.
3. Check the leaf springs for cracks.
4, Make sure the glow plugs work.. check how it was bypassed. the key will have to be off and the switch will work.
5. check the 4 wheel drive. make sure the lock out hubs work.
6. Check for fuel leaks by the injector pump and the lift pump....TMs for location. Check the fuel filter area (on the firewall) for leaks..
7. Check the brakes/lines/master cylinder.

And I don't even one..... But been helping a friend work on his... Overall...the truck isnt that bad to work on.:grd:

4bogginchevys

electrical, glow plug by-pass, radiator for leaks anywhere, as soon as you start it throw it in reverse and drive and check for lag time....big indication of things to come. Even if all works in the cab you could look under the dash at starter relay, and wires for tampering. torque on the fan a little for condition of water pump too. Good luck

tshermankb

all of the above for sure. Generally it seems Electrical problems seem to be the hardest thing to fix on these trucks. Once you have it started if one or both of the gen lights flicker on at idle, tap the throttle and if things are ok they should go off. Also a few things that you might not notice without knowing before hand:
the 24v system is reduced to 12V for the Glow-plugs on a resistor bank right behind the airfilter. I didnt realize it when I picked up my m1009 but the resistor bank was totally bypasssed, it still works but now I am spending a lot of time figuring out how exactly it was changed as there are more than a few ways to re-configure the system. If this is the case you will see two loose connectors on either side of a cover dead center on the firewall.

this one isnt really vehicle specific but tire wear can be telling. seen more than a few CUCVs with a worn ball joint causing one or more tires to wear unevenly. Things like a fuel leak in the base of the breadbox fuel filter (passenger side of the engine) are ultra common and not terribly difficult to fix.
Goodluck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks