• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to pick up my first Deuce

XchaosX

Heading down to NJ Saturday morning to drive back home 250 miles. It's a 1971 AM General with with winch, drop side, heat, whistler turbo, and singled out with 395's. It's coming with a bunch spare parts, tops, and tow bar. Bringing as many tools as I can, jacks, oil, brake fluid, and coolant. Should be picking up a 105 trailer and a winch for the back on the way home also. Hopefully I make it home with no problems but if not I have couple back up plans. Can't wait, though the wife isn't as excited.

XchaosX

I appreciate the offer and hopefully it goes as planned. The guy i'm picking a trailer up from is also a member here and offered help too. The guy i'm buying from, his son works for a truck company and will haul it back for reasonable fee if it comes to that.

XchaosX

Well the trip has been postponed. He called me last just I was getting everything together to leave in the morning to tell me the truck wouldn't be ready. I was quite bummed as was he. He thought he had a bad rear axle bearing. He put in new a bearing and seals. Took it out for a test drive before I came down and it was still making a noise. Tore it down again today and found a gear had let go in the diff. He is going to get a spare axle from a friend tomorrow and put a new bearing and seal in it. Hopefully the trip will be back on for next weekend.

Flingarrows

Well the trip has been postponed. He called me last just I was getting everything together to leave in the morning to tell me the truck wouldn't be ready. I was quite bummed as was he. He thought he had a bad rear axle bearing. He put in new a bearing and seals. Took it out for a test drive before I came down and it was still making a noise. Tore it down again today and found a gear had let go in the diff. He is going to get a spare axle from a friend tomorrow and put a new bearing and seal in it. Hopefully the trip will be back on for next weekend.
Sounds like a good guy to deal with, by taking the time to make sure everything is right

XchaosX

Yeah, i'm glad i'm buying from him, seems like a real decent guy. He said he didn't feel right with me driving it home til he had it fixed. Which i'm glad cause I would of never made it home on my own. He is even changing the fluids.

XchaosX

Went down with a buddy last Tuesday and picked it up. About a 4 hour drive down and 8 hour ride home in the deuce, it was quite the adventure. For being such a decent guy, he screwed me on a couple things. The truck was running before I got there. I asked him flat out if the batteries were dead, he said he left a light switch on the night before and drained the batteries and they were other wise good. Should of just gone and bought some but I believed him.

The ebrake wasn't hook up, so that was fun everytime I stopped. Good thing I brought chock blocks along. Only problem I had on the way back was when the gps took me a way I didn't want to go. Was trying to pay attention too many things at once, street signs, gps, the truck and I stalled it out at a 3 way intersetion. No restarting it, batteries were toast. Had a 30' tow rope, hooked it up my chevy 1/2 ton and had my buddy pull me across the intersection to a parking lot. Tired jumping with my truck, no go. So we pulled started and it started right up.

The 15.5/80 Michelins were taken off and put in the bed. The NDTs were put back on because he was worried about me having a blow out after I told him to leave them on the day before. I was more worried about having a blow out with the NDTs as some of the rears were really dry rotted. Come to find out when I put the Michelins on a few days ago that one of them had a sidewall puncture and had been attempted to be patched. No wonder he was afraid of a blow out, he had failed to mention that. If I had a blow out I would of never been able to change it out on the side of the road anyhow because he put the lug nuts back on with a 1" impact, over tightening them. I had to use a breaker bar with a 4' cheater bar and still had to put heat to the lug nuts to able to loosen them. I busted 2 breaker bars and ended up snapping one of the bud nuts in the rear trying to get them off.

Ended up with a ton of spare parts so I still think I made pretty well in the deal. I got a large tow bar that straps to the front axle, deuce jumper cables, spare tranny and transfer case, cargo cover, a rebuilt starter and generator, a spare dog bone, a spare like new vinyl insulated cab top, a front bumper, the ebrake, a box full of small assorted parts and tm manuels,10 NDTS and 6 90% 15.5 Michelins XL's all on rims. I needed a spare Michelin so I gess i'll make the patched tire a spare and try find a 15.5 Xl to replace that.

Last edited: