• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

goldneagle's M52A2 restore thread

Restore or Part Out the M52A2?

• Restore the M52A2

Votes: 40 97.6%
  • Part out the M52A2

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gunboy1656

I say save it. Yeah it looks bad right now, but as was mentioned before there has been much worse brought back to life.

Just stripping the paint off and giving it a new coat will make it a lot better.

vtdeucedriver

How bad is the old one???? I have never seen replacement noses like that. Now if I had a good hood ( they usually rot down front along the radiator top. ) I would not consider cutting a nose off a hood. Now I have one that has some rot there ( really not bad) but I have a line on a MINT hood and I would consider cutting the old one once the replacement is in my hands.

goldneagle

How bad is the old one???? I have never seen replacement noses like that. Now if I had a good hood ( they usually rot down front along the radiator top. ) I would not consider cutting a nose off a hood. Now I have one that has some rot there ( really not bad) but I have a line on a MINT hood and I would consider cutting the old one once the replacement is in my hands.
Like you said it is rotted in the front where it sits on the radiator guard.

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that hood looks almost like the one i just fixed up on my 818. it only takes time and patience. that truck is a saver for sure. you can sell the winch off it for 1/2 of what you paid for it. take your time and keep it under budget. :grd:

wsucougarx

Wow, that is going to be one awesome project should you go with the restore. I don't think she looks that bad. It'll be amazing to see what she looks like after a good pressure washing. You'd be surprised of how bad she really doesn't look after a good cleaning. She's got some character and the before/after pics will be outstanding. I think you should go forward with a restore. Not many M52A2's out there compared to 818's. Bring her back to a Vietnam era paint job and stencilling and she'll steal any show.[thumbzup]

goldneagle

Wow, that is going to be one awesome project should you go with the restore. I don't think she looks that bad. It'll be amazing to see what she looks like after a good pressure washing. You'd be surprised of how bad she really doesn't look after a good cleaning. She's got some character and the before/after pics will be outstanding. I think you should go forward with a restore. Not many M52A2's out there compared to 818's. Bring her back to a Vietnam era paint job and stencilling and she'll steal any show.[thumbzup]
I was thinking of keeping her Air Force Blue. I see a lot of Blue Grey under the flaking CARC paint job. Not many A.F. trucks out there.

I will take some pictures after the pressure washing to show you the color. i hope some of you guys will chime in and tell me if that is genuine A.F. color.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:grd:

If you would spare it out, you would complete quite a lot of the horrible parts of the restoration process, that is, getting the old stuff off and free. Then in stead of selling the parts, just clean them, repair where necessary, clean and repair the rest, put everything back and bob's your uncle, one nice truck you can be proud of.

(Did I already tell you I don't like the abbreviation "Bob"? Some people ask if they should call me Robert, Rob or Bob. My standard reply is: whatever you want as long as it is said with respect but NEVER, EVER Bob!). :wink:

vtdeucedriver

Must be no progress was done on the tractor today. I could not do anything either as its raining once again in the northeast. It looks like it will be a wet summer.

goldneagle

Must be no progress was done on the tractor today. I could not do anything either as its raining once again in the northeast. It looks like it will be a wet summer.
Hey be patient! i had a lot of pictures to process. I spent today pressure washing the truck to try and remove the flaking paint. Hadn't used the pressure washer for 2 years so I needed to clean out the carb. Got it clean the 2nd attempt.

I used a rotary 0 degree tip to power wash the loose paint and rust from the truck. I know I didn't get it all, but I got a lot of it already. You will see the doors lost their green color and are now white with some Air Force Blue showing. The truck looks a lot more promising now that the flaking paint has been mostly removed.

Here are some after washing pictures:

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think an AF strata blue tractor would be one beautiful truck! I see a lot of promise in that truck.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
GE, I say tackle that rascal and git er done.[thumbzup][thumbzup]

We've (CAMO) have started with much worse and ended up with good reliable trucks with little money and lots of labor!

That truck ain't all that bad...IMO:jumpin::jumpin:

wehring

load out

Here is a pic of the loadout. Thanks again for the purchase. We shook hands on the weekend at a rally in LA and I had certified funds in-hand early the next week. Thanks Zev.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks