• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

goldneagle's M923 recovery and modification thread

goldneagle

Today I picked up the LED tail lights that were installed on my M931 truck at my friend's shop. Brought them home and installed them on the M923. Tested out great! For now i am going to leave them tan in color. Pictures coming soon.

goldneagle

Yesterday I installed the bridge sign on the right fender of the truck. I stole it off my M931. The brackets were covered with rust when I got them. Had to refinish the brackets before reinstalling. Ended up painting the bridge sign in flat black to match the spot on the fender where i installed it. I left the removable numbers and top piece the original green color. I also picked up some brass air line fittings which included a T and some other compression fittings. I planned on using the fittings to tap into my air horn feed line. I will use the new 1/4" tap line for feeding the air-ride-seat.

I cut into the copper air line at the bend between the T on the firewall and the horn feed elbow. I installed 1 straight compression fitting then the T junction. At the center tap on the T I installed a 1/4" ball valve and a quick connect 1/4" air fitting. At the other end of the T went a 90 L i borrowed from the spare fuel tank. I re-bent the copper tubing to line up with the fittings and secured. Started up the truck and tested the air system. Turned off the truck and listened for an air leak. heard a leak coming from my work! Had to tighten the Flare fitting tighter until the leak stopped. The rest of the work will wait until I get the air ride seat installed. Pictures attached...

Attachments

goldneagle

I just wish brass fittings were not so expensive. I still need to spend almost $100 in brass parts and fittings for the bypass coolant filter setup. I don't like to use iron pipes and fitting due to too much rust generated. Here are pictures of what i want to add to the truck:

Attachments

Last edited:

Scarecrow1

I am sooooo jealous I have only had time to do minor things on mine . To make matters worse I went out to play with it the other day and the batteries were dead as a doornail . I left something on I guess ( live and learn) I thought when you through the battery switch it shut off all the power going to the truck. I bought a disconnect switch that I will put in as soon as I have time . Then I will be sure all the power is off with no mistakes .......Your truck is really coming along keep up the good work

goldneagle

I am sooooo jealous I have only had time to do minor things on mine . To make matters worse I went out to play with it the other day and the batteries were dead as a doornail . I left something on I guess ( live and learn) I thought when you through the battery switch it shut off all the power going to the truck. I bought a disconnect switch that I will put in as soon as I have time . Then I will be sure all the power is off with no mistakes .......Your truck is really coming along keep up the good work
Thanks for the complements. Those battery disconnect switches are supposed to go on the negative side of the circuit. You may need additional cables to do it right.

I did turn the lights on last night after dark and they looked great! I need to check them for aim. They may need some adjustment. Otherwise i am happy with them.

goldneagle

goldneagle...who did you get the led headlights from? if you don't mind me asking.
Actually Jeff Davis was the one that made the deal with one of our SS members for 5 sets total. I paid for 2 sets. One is on the M923 and the other may go on the M109A2.

goldneagle

Today was a lazy day. All I did to the truck was to cut the back brackets that supported the bench seat back. They were welded and studded to the battery box lid. i used my Sawzall to cut the brackets off. I also used it to cut the large rivet heads off the brackets. That allowed me to remove the bottom angle that was left from the first cut. Took the angle grinder and smoothed off the rivet stems flush with the lid top. I also ground the side plate left from the cut flush to the battery box lid. Soon i will be able to start work on mounting the two buckets seats on top of the battery box.

goldneagle

I was not planning to do anything on the truck today due to rain. Well it was so nice out this afternoon that i decided to tackle the plumbing for the coolant bypass filter setup. I already ordered the filter and housing from AMAZON and it should be here before the end of the week.

I drove to Home Depot and picked up the brass valves and fittings I need for the project. $123.72 later I had most of the parts. I already had one 1/2" brass pipe and one 3/4" to 1/2" reducer in stock. It cost more than the M931 project because I decided to replace both valves that feed the heater hoses. The were frozen and the valve lever was spinning freely. I had to drain 5 gallons of anti-freeze out of the system in order to do the plumbing work. Mostly 1/2" brass fittings and 5/8" barbed fittings on the ends for the hoses. I put an inline T and 2 separate ball valves on each hose output. I have some really nice pictures of the work attached...
..Bypass_plumbing_1c.jpgBypass_plumbing_1b.jpgBypass_plumbing_1.jpgBypass_plumbing_1a.jpg

I also took some pictures in the cab showing the work i did to the battery box top / bench seat.
Bench_Out_1b.jpgBench_Out_1a.jpgBench_Out_1.jpg

Here are the latest pictures of the truck:

M923_2012_1a.jpgM923_2012_1.jpg

goldneagle

No actual work was done to the truck today. I did go to NAPA and pick up 4 feet of 5/8" ID heater hose and 2 clamps. I also dug through my storage building and found the Gliden Primer, Porch Polyurethane Gloss Paint, and Dupli_Color truck bed paint. I am still trying to decide whether to use the Primer/Porch Paint combo or Dupli-Color bed liner paint to repaint the floor in the cab of my M923. There is nothing wrong with the floor. I just want to protect the metal from water and reinstall the rubber mats over the finished paint. I have a gallon kit of the Dupli-Color. I have almost 1 gallon each of the other paints. Any arguments either way?

I got some packages tonight from UPS. It was almost like getting Christmas Gifts! The case of Gillespie spray paint arrived. I also got the Coolant filter and filter housing kit. If we have some dry weather tomorrow i will install the filter assembly. I am also waiting for warm dry days to refinish the floor in the cab. Then i can also finally install the air-ride seat!

After a painful trip to Biloxi, MS and back I decided that the Military Driver seat violates the Geneva Convention against torture! My back still hurts today! I am sure that my weight may be a contributing factor, but man is that seat a killer!

dburt

Excellant thread G-Eagle! Sometimes I just read and relish, and leave no comments! But that does not mean I don't enjoy the thread and your progress- I just need to remember to be more thoughtful and leave positive feedback when it's due!

goldneagle

Excellant thread G-Eagle! Sometimes I just read and relish, and leave no comments! But that does not mean I don't enjoy the thread and your progress- I just need to remember to be more thoughtful and leave positive feedback when it's due!
Thanks guys! Your feedback is appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks